New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple more pre-64 M70 ???s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a couple more questions about these rifles that I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than I could answer.

1.) I've read a lot of the posts about case failures in the pre-64 M70's causing any escaping gases to be directed back into the face of the shooter. I'm wondering how much of a problem/common this really is, especially with cartridges like the .270 Win and .30-06 (the two on my wish list). While I realize that these are high intensity cartridges I guess I think of them as fairly mild when compared to today's superdupermegalomagnums, and wouldn't think that the standard cartridges would cause that many problems. I would think that most shooters could go through a lifetime of shooting M70's without experiencing a problem. I guess in one sentence my question is: In standard chamberings, with responsible handloads, is the concern over the gas handling system of these rifles enough of a concerns to scratch them off my wish list?

2.) Are there and models or years of manufacture of these rifles that should be avoided because of subtle design changes or temporary QC issues?

I like the classicness of these rifles, but certainly want a rifle with a resaonably safe design. This safety statement from a guy that owns a couple Remington M700's!!! [Roll Eyes]

Thanks in advance,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobvthunter:
I have a couple more questions about these rifles that I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than I could answer.

1.) I've read a lot of the posts about case failures in the pre-64 M70's causing any escaping gases to be directed back into the face of the shooter. I'm wondering how much of a problem/common this really is, especially with cartridges like the .270 Win and .30-06 (the two on my wish list). While I realize that these are high intensity cartridges I guess I think of them as fairly mild when compared to today's superdupermegalomagnums, and wouldn't think that the standard cartridges would cause that many problems. I would think that most shooters could go through a lifetime of shooting M70's without experiencing a problem. I guess in one sentence my question is: In standard chamberings, with responsible handloads, is the concern over the gas handling system of these rifles enough of a concerns to scratch them off my wish list?

2.) Are there and models or years of manufacture of these rifles that should be avoided because of subtle design changes or temporary QC issues?

I like the classicness of these rifles, but certainly want a rifle with a resaonably safe design. This safety statement from a guy that owns a couple Remington M700's!!! [Roll Eyes]

Thanks in advance,
Bob

.....I am NOT a gunsmith...just a gun tinkerer and lover of P64 mod 70's and ran a local gun store for a few years as a sideline job.....with the limits you name....such as normal calibers and reasonable handloads I've never seen a case blow......overloads, thick necks and too long cases in otherwise good guns have resulted in blown primers and split cases in a few guns I've seen...and some actions do handle gas from these better than a P64...but....with a little care the chances of a case blowing and then causing a serious problem for the shooter is similar to getting struck by lighting in normal life....as to avoid years....the very last few were not as finely finished and fitted....the pre-war are the other way and a little nicer......never had one of those but currently have 1953 to 61 yrs of manu. and they each are individuals and most problems are easily seen in examination......again this is my experience and feed back from my dealer/supplier for my habit....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pre 64 M 70 earned the moniker "The Rifleman's Rifle" do to their performance, value and acceptance by the majority of shooters who could afford them. It's almost 40 years since they were discontinued and the mystique lives on.

It seems that they don't handle gas leaks as well as they should and the new M 70 Classic is better in that respect.

In general I would rather have a pre 64 M 70 due to it's superior safety and trigger for just two features.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote