Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck screw-in choke
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a used Reminton 870 barrel with screw in choke. I can't get the old choke out even after soaking in solvent, useing some "extra" downward pressure and heating the barrel. I don't have a lathe,mores the pity, but have good selection of common tools. I fear that it may have been used with steel shot and peened in place...Now what??? broken bolt extractorsS? file a slit in tube? Dynomite? Gotta be someone out there whose been where I am now..I'd appreciate some sugesstions. Thanks fellas..sf340

Posts: 1 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's sells a "Stuck Choke Tube Remover" tool. It looks like it is finely "checkered" or "textured" around the circumference. It expands inside the tube to grip it, then you can turn it out. Most likely it will ruin your choke tube, but they're cheap enough compared to ruining the barrel...

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I just saw this is your first post.

Welcome to AR.com!!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
One possible reason that you can't unscrew it might be due to steel shot being fired in the gun which can & will eventally swage the choke & barrel OUT OF ROUND at that point & then its on for good because then it can't be unscrewed!

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of pepole that boil the choke part of the barrel and then uscrew the choke

/Johan

Posts: 87 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it, but if heating the barrel doesn't work, how about chilling the barrel? Just a thought. Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote