New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killing Rust wwii 1911
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right guys, have a buddies 1911 that I offered to clean up for him and test fire to see if anything needs replacing. it overall is in very good shape, just a few spots of rust. of course I could just do steel wool and gun oil and clean it up, but I had a question on this

in rust bluing you rust then boil then card correct? So why wouldn't it be a good idea to clean up the spot, degrease, then boil it to convert (ferrous oxide to ferric oxide?)? I would think that simply removing the rust won't necessarily treat the surface whereas boiling it will.

If that is a good course of action, does it need to be distilled water as in rust bluing process?

Thanks all.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried it with steam, then boiling tap water, got nowhere. keep us posted wsith your efforts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
just a few spots of rust. of course I could just do steel wool and gun oil and clean it up, but I had a question on this

Thats the way do do it light on the steel wool

Wouldn't even brother with boiling it.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I field stripped it last night to look closer. there is just a small bloom at teh base of the left grip.

I think I'll just do light steel wool, unless something changes when I strip it then it's in amazing condition, really a pleasure to get to handle something so old with so much history that's in such great shape.

I'm going to boil the magazine though, will let you know results.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote