Find
Notify
Tools

recoil pad hardness???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I have a Correct Period Pad that is manufactured by Galaza. I like the looks of the pad as I'm going to do a leather cover treatment. But this thing is about as hard of a pad as I've ever seen. I enjoy my time shooting and really dont care to take a beating everytime I pull the trigger. In the past I have used the Pachmyer Decelerators and I like them, but I dont want to butcher one up to do the leather thing. I came across another pad called the Technically Superior Recoil Pad. Has anyone here used this pad and what did you think of it as far as tameing recoil? If it's like the Kick Ezz I wont like it...but if it's between or like the Decelerator that works for me.
So, what do you like about the Period Pad or the advertised softer Superior Pad, is there any real diffrences between the two? "OH" if I hear any crap about being a recoil sissy, I'll have a talk with Santa and guess what is not going to show up under the tree this year! Big Grin

Merry CHRISTmas to all
Thanks

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll have to wait until this Soverns thing gets over with... Roll Eyes

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Guess I'll have to wait until this Soverns thing gets over with... Roll Eyes

I've used some of the Galazan pads you mention and have had mixed results. I tend to believe the black base material is not consistent. Sometines breaks if you give it a dirty look.

On the plus side, they are somewhat softer than t he Silvers (brick) and harder than the Kick Eze (mush). The Kick Eze tends to break off large pieces unless you really round the edges..then sometimes breaks off anyway...Guess you have read between the lines that I don't like them.

For a leather covered pad, I personally like to use the Silvers, but HAVE covered the Kick Eze...Best to use the thinner varities, though.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
In the past I have used the Pachmyer Decelerators and I like them, but I dont want to butcher one up to do the leather thing .

Thanks

(In a Borat voice)Whaaat!????

Why not butcher the decelerator? They are my favorite pads to use or abuse.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
(In a Borat voice)Whaaat!????

Why not butcher the decelerator? They are my favorite pads to use or abuse.

Jason

Thanks for the replies,
I've done one Kick Eze / thats all I want, in a couple of months a chunk fell off...yup, there crap!
I was wandering about the Technically Superior Pad made by Galazan, as far as being how much softer than the Perios correct pad.
Hell, I just might order a Decelator pad and go to town with it. Didnt think I wanted to mess with taking a cartridge and useing it to cut out the screw holes. Would like to under cut the rubber and save the plugs, but if memory serves me right I have a pad that shows a little silver (metal) on one side of a pad. Hum cant remember how it got that way... Big Grin Could cut it flush and make plugs from that. Useing dowl rods just dont seem right.
Again, Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see how you can "butcher" the decelerator. Leather covered many. I make up[ a "hole saw", then grab the "hole" with a pair of thin nose pliers and just yank the out the cavity. I make the plug out of cork...still would rather use the Silvers....

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see how you can "butcher" the decelerator. Leather covered many. I make up[ a "hole saw", then grab the "hole" with a pair of thin nose pliers and just yank the out the cavity. I make the plug out of cork...still would rather use the Silvers....

Duane, "butcher" may have been a little on the strong side. If you will permit me to change that word, I'll change it to "LAZY"... Wink.
My thinking was if the Tech. Superior Pad was close to being the same or close to the Decelerator I'd just order it. I have never had any trouble with any Decelerator pad base.
I thank you for answering my questions, as you have done this far more then I, and I respect your word and the work you do, so it's always good to get an answer from you. THANK YOU!

And to all A Merry CHRISTmas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Decelarator by far. Easy to shape to what you have. Soft pad for around $30

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have a decelerator showing some "silver". If you mangle or can't find your other one I'd be happy to send it to you. Cheaper than new if it's going to be covered. Just let me know...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote