New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifle stock bending
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has anyone here ever had a rifle stock bent to create cast on or off or to adjust the pitch? I had it done once with my duck gun and it was a marked improvement in fit and handling. the gunsmith used hot oil and a lamp in a vice.

the cz lh 550 I just got leaves me high and to the right when I mount it. so, to work with the factory barrel i'd consider having it bent and then re-shaped to clean it up and lose some of that clubby feeling they come with from the factory.

thanks.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cast and drop are, as you probably know, like hands on a clockface.

Moving the "hands" to 20 minutes to 4 o'clock as it were from fifteen minutes to three o'clock will lower the stock and lower the point of impact.

It is like the stock is one hand and the barrel the other hand. The middle of the clock being like the action.

You increase the drop and that lowers the point of impact.

So the easy solution is to measure out exactly sixteen yards and mount your gun with a bore sighter. The amount you want to take off the comb will be that amount you want to move the point of impact in inches divided by sixteen.

So. Two inches high. Lose 1/8" inch from the heel etc.

As to the left and right. I would not "cast" a rifle by bending but by having either a bespoke stock fitted with that offset already made in it OR altering the thickness of the existing stock.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ Perodeau at Champlin Arms "bent" a stock for me on a double rifle.
After the work it fit me much better.

There was no change with the finish of the stock.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As NE 450 No2 says with a double then it is different. But with a CZ550 bolt action I would not try moving the stock.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fixed up a client a few years back with one of those fully adjustable, left/right/up/down, buttplates. He shoots wearing everything from just a T-shirt to heavy winter clothing. EZ adjust with a hex wrench. Brownells has them. Gotta cut an inch or so off the wood depending on thickness of chosen recoil pad. Short in the looks department but all the way in usefullness.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thread.
Is there anyone who does stock bending other than Champlin?
I have a rifle with far too much cast-on, and need to have that taken out of the stock, in the wrist area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be easier to bend the barrel?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brice, Brice!! You beat me to it!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sergey at rustbluing.com in massachusetts does it.

question: if one were to bend a stock (I've had it done on a duck gun and it made a great improvement on fit) would one bend first and then re-shape the stock if re-shaping were desired or re-shape first and then bend?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If one were to bend a stock (I've had it done on a duck gun and it made a great improvement on fit) would one bend first and then re-shape the stock if re-shaping were desired or re-shape first and then bend?

It is more difficult with a bolt action rifle and I would not advise it. Why? Because of the way that the stock is fixed to the receiver.

But it is bend first - to get the drop at heel correct - and then remove anything that is needed from the face (or what is called in America the point I think).

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Dennis Smith does stock bending. His company is The Stock Doctor (<click here). All of his information is on his site. He is very busy so I'm not sure what his turn around time is but he does a nice job.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info gentlemen. thumb

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Wouldn't it be easier to bend the barrel?

Please describe your procedure for doing said barrel bending??? jumping