New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leonard brownell
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Curious what you all would think of this rifle. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=62747879

Leonard Brownell was one of the greats. The seller claims this is an early Brownell rifle.

Thanks,
John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle. Fine job for whoever did it. Wonder if he provides documentation?

Steve E......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The listing certianly seems to insinuate it is a L. Brownell rifle but actually only says;
Extensive use of inlays and Western 'Fleur de Lis' checkering patter which was the early trademark of Leonard Brownell."

Maybe it is, maybe it ain't but it doesn't sound to me like he's making a claim someone could use to back out if it's not. I'd call him and get a difinitive statement before bidding on it AS an L. Brownell.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing but the title of the ad says Model 1909 DWuMF-Berlin 'Brownell' (1950's). It is a fine looking rifle. I have seen photos of some of his work and it does look like his. It is rare to see one for sale and if a guy could get it for $2k, it would be an incredible bargain. The checkering pattern is an over the top type which is difficult in that it takes real workmanship to keep the lines from curving. The longer you have to extend from the master line, the harder it is to keep it straight and true. This was done beautifully.

John, I got a call back on my answering machine from that guy I with the Price rifle and I will try him again toda. still owe you those photos and will get on that today also.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice, classic rifle on the 1909 action. Checkering is first-rate.

Wasn't leonard Brownell the one who designed the Ruger M77 and No. 1 stocks for Bill Ruger??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
This is a nice old rifle, but I wonder if Leonard Brownell really did build it.

Two things throw red flags to me as far as Leonard building this rifle. One is that it has a three position model 70 type safety and the other is that the rear scope base looks to me that it is shimmed or soldered on. Leonard was a craftsman of the finest order and would never have put out a rifle with a base that fit or looked no better than it appears this one does. I also have never heard of him using a three position safety, especially in the fifties. He actually preferred a tang type safety a lot of the time if I remember correctly.

I also wonder about the stippling in the fleur of the checkering. I don't ever remember seeing one he did that way. The grip cap doesn't really look like his either.

Regardless, it is a nice looking older style custom rifle. Not sure it is over $2000.00 nice though.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that he worked with Ruger on the early 77 and #1 stocks. If you look at an early Ruger 77 stock is is much more refined and has better lines than the junk they are selling today.

Chic, feel free to post the pics on here if you think others would be interested in seeing the work.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idared:
This is a nice old rifle, but I wonder if Leonard Brownell really did build it.

Two things throw red flags to me as far as Leonard building this rifle. One is that it has a three position model 70 type safety and the other is that the rear scope base looks to me that it is shimmed or soldered on. Leonard was a craftsman of the finest order and would never have put out a rifle with a base that fit or looked no better than it appears this one does. I also have never heard of him using a three position safety, especially in the fifties. He actually preferred a tang type safety a lot of the time if I remember correctly.

I also wonder about the stippling in the fleur of the checkering. I don't ever remember seeing one he did that way.

Regardless, it is a nice looking older style custom rifle. Not sure it is over $2000.00 nice though.

I have to agree with Idared. Lenard would probably have used a tang safety and his own design of bolt handle and scope bases and rings.

The original Kimber lever rings were a Lenard Brownell design. And they would have fit much better than what these mounts do. thumb

As for the three position safety, it could have been purchased from Jasper Raybourn. It was, after all, Jasper who designed the first one!
But in the fifties? bewildered Stippling?
I kinda doubt that one too?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
Looks like a nice, classic rifle on the 1909 action. Checkering is first-rate.

Wasn't leonard Brownell the one who designed the Ruger M77 and No. 1 stocks for Bill Ruger??

Yes he was, and he worked at the factory training the checkerers too. He made Bill Ruger
the very first SA international in 7mm-308 with
a modified BRNO style bolt handle. He was a Ruger consultant for several years. I've seen
Steve Billeb use that same modified BRNO style on some of his flatbolt rifles too.

It was a picture of that first international that got me into my love affair with custom guns!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
There's another thread about the model 70 stock design, which I had been under the impression that Leonard had designed that too....

If you look at this rifle, it looks very much like the featherweight model 70. Similiar forend and checkering style.

It's the story I had heard many years ago, but I wonder if anybody could confirm this?

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Ross Billingsley used to work with Len Brownell. I am sure he would be able to confirm a lot of things.

By the way, his name was spelled LENARD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I think Ross Billingsley used to work with Len Brownell. I am sure he would be able to confirm a lot of things.

By the way, his name was spelled LENARD.

You are quite correct, 22WRF, Ross and Lenard were partners until Lenard's death. Ross kept
the parnership name for many years afterwards.