New
Find
Notify
Tools

lightweight recoil pads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen: I just got back from the postoffice and their accurate scales. My goal is/was to build a light 270 with a pre'64 model 70. Leupold scope, talley lightweight mts, featherweight barreled action all equal 5lb 14 oz. The real problem is the recoil pad. The Brown 'Pounder comes in at +- 17 oz., but almost all pads add 8-9oz to that. Seems a bit odd that a pad should weigh almost 1/2 of the stock!!! Now there must be, somewhere, a nice (good looking, stand up to use, effective) pad that does not weigh a ton...any suggestions are both welcome and needed. Thanks for being patient! Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr makes a couple of lightweight Decelerator pads. Both are .5" which is perfect for a 270 IMO.

They have no steel insert and come in stipled and baseketweave patterns. I weighed one last week and it came in at about 3oz.

You could save an ounce if you hollowed out the back of the pad.

Part numbers are D200B and B500(IIRC)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this is something i recently posted on another forum regarding cuting some weight off a 1" decellerator

the new pad

ground flat on a belt sander, so 1/32" - 1/16" of the hard rubber is left

find the edge of the insert with an xacto knife and cut around one side

metal insert pulled out and ready to glue on

On a postal scale, the pad lost almost 2 ounces. Actual loss will be less since you then grind away some of the outside. Still, for 5 minutes and no cost, it beats fluting a bolt for a 1-1/2 ounce reduction.

The weight loss (in my estimation) is as much in getting rid of some of the hard rubber as it is in getting rid of the steel insert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd put on the standard pad and see how the rifle balances. You may find that the rifle balances well and you don't need to concern yourself with shaving a few ounces. Regardless of the what the scale says, how does the rifle feel in your hands?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't ordered your Brown stock yet, talk to Mark about his lightweight pad. That thing can't weigh an ounce, and has held up well on two of my personal rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArthurOlds:
Gentlemen: I just got back from the postoffice and their accurate scales. My goal is/was to build a light 270 with a pre'64 model 70. Leupold scope, talley lightweight mts, featherweight barreled action all equal 5lb 14 oz. The real problem is the recoil pad. The Brown 'Pounder comes in at +- 17 oz., but almost all pads add 8-9oz to that. Seems a bit odd that a pad should weigh almost 1/2 of the stock!!! Now there must be, somewhere, a nice (good looking, stand up to use, effective) pad that does not weigh a ton...any suggestions are both welcome and needed. Thanks for being patient! Arthur Olds

Adding a pound to any rifle will reduce felt recoil regardless if its composition. Maybe that is the whole strategy. Why not add the pad to you instead of the rifle?

http://www.battenfeldtechnolog...ld&ItemNumber=330110

I've used one for years. You can wear it under your jacket or shirt while hunting and it weighs next to nothing. No need to add a pad to any of your guns.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you vant a lightweight recoil pad i can recomend : http://www.cervellati.eu/images/microcell%20ingl.pdf

I use them sometimes, they are very soft and pleasant and weighs half compered to a deccelerator.

ante

Posts: 20 | Location: sweden | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArthurOlds:
The Brown 'Pounder comes in at +- 17 oz., but almost all pads add 8-9oz to that.

I think you are looking at the wrong pads.

I mentioned that the light-weight Decelerator (200B) is 3 ounces. Well I decided to weigh a regular 1" medium size Decelerator Old English pad: it only weighs 4 ounces!

If you cut out the steel insert as shown above it would weigh even less than the "light-weight" decelerator.

What type of pads were you weighing that came in at 8-9ozs?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote