Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good cold blue solution...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I have tried Birchwood Casey in the past and didnt think much of the results.

What do you guys use here for general touch up?

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oxopho blue from Brownells. I may not have the spelling exactly right, but it's close enough to find it.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found Brownell's Oxpho-Blue to be the best of the cold blues.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Well that Ill get some ordered an try it.

Thanks alot!!

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I have yet to try Brownells, because i like using a product called G96, for touch ups its the best i've seen, blends perfectly!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well I have 2 favorites, both from Brownells.

Like the others, I like the Oxpho blue as it is pretty durable as far as cold blues go. However, it is a bit too gray for my liking. I like their T4 for the dark color, so what I do is I use both blues.

First I'll use the Oxpho blue, and then follow it up with a few applications of T4. So you get a nice dark yet durable color.

Afterwards I like to get the steel hot and work an oil into it (usually straight ATF or ATF/mineral spirits blend) and leave it for a day to soak.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb Oxpho Blue !. I find if not satisfied with the desired tone of blue , buff and keep applying and repeat it turns near Blue black .
Least in my limited usage of it any way .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
G96 is good for touch up if you can find it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
It is hard to find , i bought plenty when i had a chance...but i did find this on the net!
http://www.g96.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_C...tegory_Code=Gun+Blue

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote