New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scarred stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Weatherby Vanguard with a wood stock; it is 20+ years old and the stock is covered with little dings and scratches, that don't penetrate the finish, as happens. Lately, though, I somehow gouged it on the buttstock, left side. There are five little scrapes, but the biggest is 5mm in diameter and exposes the grain. I don't plan to refinish the stock until next winter - what can I put on this in the meantime to keep the moisture out? Regular touchup or any plain sealant?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For quick and easy, I'd use Tru-Oil.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great - while I was at looking at Tru-Oil at Brownells I also saw their shellac sticks. May come in handy when I do go to refinish it and fill in the gouges. May just go with the Tru-Oil for now. Thanks.

sputster

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you strip the old finish, you may find that a lot of those dents can be raised by simply moistening the wood with a damp cloth or by steaming them out. It's a pretty simple process.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that they sell "stock irons" for steaming dents out of wood. Are they better to use or would steam from a regular steam iron work?

sputster

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Steaming is only marginally usable on dents, and is likely to flake off the finish on a cut or scrape. I use a drop of super glue, and a pinch of walnut sawdust to fill in cuts and gouges. You drop the sawdust pinch on the superglue drop, and press the sawdust down with a finger PROTECTED WITH A SANDWICH BAGGIE. Not using the baggie will glue your finger onto the stock...Shave off excess with a single edge razor blade, and finish with a drop of True oil, or poly varnish.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sputster:
I see that they sell "stock irons" for steaming dents out of wood. Are they better to use or would steam from a regular steam iron work?

I have and use both, and both work equally well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote