Find
Notify
Tools

Shorten shotgun barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents. , I have a shotgun and I want to shorten the barrels form 30 to 24�
The gun is a Spanish side by side in 12 GA the brand is Fa Laurona it�s a nice very well made engraved box lock,
It has a Greener (??) third lock and a cast off stock for RH shooter.

The question is should I do this (value of the gun? what would that be anyhow?) because I would loose the chokes.
What would be the effect of loosing the chokes, in pellet pattern and slug accuracy?
The idea behind all this is to use the gun as a in the camper gun for plinking and Bear gun.

If I would do this How do I go about it?
It seems simple enough just get the hacksaw cut it off squares the barrels and re installs the front sight.
But what if the rib between the barrels is loose at that point?

Your opinion would be appreciated
Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would have "zero" choke do very wide and thin patterns anywhere past 15 yards.....the barrels may or may not (probably not) shoot to the same point-of-impact.....if probably has a solid rib that isn't solid but hollow so cutting the barrel back will leave you a hole at the end of the rib that will need to be filled.....the value of the gun will be much, much less than whatever you think it is now as it will be useless for anything except the very closest of shooting.

Suggestion....sell the shotgun and buy yourself a short-barreled pump gun like an 870....it will hold more rounds and be easier to reload in tight spaces.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Martin,

As sound of advise as DB Bill just presented, if you just HAVE TO do it to this gun, then apply masking tape around the barrels where you wish to make the cut and saw as straight as possible. (why stop at 24"?)

If you are going to tackle this type of project then you will need to do a few prepatory things first. You should fashion some wood blocks to closely resemble the top and bottom contour of the barrels leaving a space for the rib to sit so as to avoid damaging the rib.

Next, CAREFULLY place the barrel in the blocks (to avoid crushing the barrels and rib)in a bench vise vertically, with the muzzle protruding just above the wooden blocks. Take a large, sharp file and apply chalk to the teeth to keep the file from tearing the metal, and while keeping the file level, carefully square the end. Keep the files teeth clean with a what? a tooth brush, and keep applying chalk to avoid damage.

Obtain a lead ball (black powder type) or soft lead sinker and carefully tap this into the opening of the hollow rib at the muzzle leaving some lead protruding from the front for which to file off.

This piece of lead will seal the hollow opening of the rib and help give it that "finished" look. Once you swaged this piece of lead into position, you can then make your final passes with the file to properly finish the muzzle.

You are not finished yet as you will need to remove the burrs from the inside and outside of the barrels. Unless you have a proper deburring tool, you can use the backside of an exacto knife or the backside of a butter knife for that matter to carefully scrape and break the edge removing the burr. Then if you are careful, you can take a piece of emory cloth and finish dressing and blending the edges.

You will want to install a new front bead so you will have to drill and tap for that. As far as performance goes, side by sides are wicked defense guns. Without the chokes, slugs will work great, and using 00 buck or heavy lead shot for camp defense, you couldn't ask for a better shot pattern than cylinder, that is, if you just had to use the side by side...

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Martin,
The value of this gun is about $650 in 95% condition max. So it is not an extremely valuable gun, but cutting the barrels will probably halve the value. For the hit you will take in the reduction in value you can find a short barreled pump and tailor it to your uses like DB Bill said. You will also get the benefit of more firepower from a repeater.

Just my $.02.

Mort Canard

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill; you are probably right it seems more trouble than it's worth you have me worried about the rib.

Malm; thanks for your very good explanation on the procedure I'll file that.

Mort; thanks for your input did not think it would harm the value that much.
It is a nice looking and tight gun and come to think of it I do have a pump into a thousand pieces in the garage, It was stolen and dumped in the river there is no blueing left but the bore is still OK.
Maybe I'll glassblast it and see what can be done.

Thanks Guy's

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote