New
Find
Notify
Tools

need new trigger for a santa barbra mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i bought a used cutom 7 rem mag with a santa barbra trigger.. the oem trigger is junk and neither a timley or sako trigger fits.. any ideas?

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which Timney did you try? I would have guessed the Santa Barbara would use the same trigger as an FN (or Mark X).

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
tom ga hunter

I have never seen a Santa Barbara, but If it's a standard 98 in design I would have bought a Blackburn or Canjar for mymoney. Timmey are to my mind overrated.

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I own a Santa Barbra action and the trigger that was on is junk.Brownells cat. # 55 doesnt show it but Cat. 53 shows that Bold had a trigger that was made for the Santa Barbra. I dont know why as it is identical to the 98 action. You will have to use a side safty unless you change the bolt shroud that has a safty to lock the bolt. I havnt fitted a trigger to it yet so I cant comment on a timney not fitting, but dont see why it wouldnt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a canjar...and not look back.

good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Bold trigger stock number OP-98-SB is for the Santa Barbara. Boyd's Cunstocks (among others) sells them for about $35.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a .30-06 in a Santa Barbara action a while back. If I remember correctly, the bottom of the action below the trigger had a narrow slot milled in it. When the safety was on, a metal tab came up through this slot and blocked something(memory fails)that prevented the bolt from opening.

The trigger was a POS. The rear guard screw came up through the rear of the the trigger housing making it bloody near impossible to bed the rear tang.

I replaced it with a Mauser or FN timney(Sportsman model)and a military-style shroud with safety.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, if you are willing to spend money on a custom rig then you should have enough to purchase a good trigger. I have never used a Bold but I have used Canjar. Once you use something good you will not want to go the cheap trigger. But its your money and you do what you feel is best suited for you needs. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote