New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Unertl on an AR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Never saw a Unertl on an AR so I thought I'd try it on my adult son's match rifle build. Fabricated the mounts from Picatinny Rail 11mm adapters and 3/8" scope blocks. Used it as a class to our Junior Small-borers on scope mounting and setup. Here's a 17-year-old banging a 12" steel plate offhand at 200yds ten for ten. Wink

One overheard comment today was "A 1955 scope on a 2015 rifle." What they don't realize is those old external micrometer adjustments are several-fold as accurate in repeatability as the elevators in most internally-adjusted scopes. Not to mention that modern lens coatings are nice, but are no substitute for old-school lens polishing. The only down side to the Unertls is that they aren't weatherproof like modern scopes, but the flip side of that is they are easily dismanted at home for cleaning and repair. I can restring a set of broken crosshairs in around 30 minutes. Wink

Posts: 663 | Location: Seabeck WA | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is one of the most unique ideas i've seen in ages. weird as it may look i can well imagine how well it works. ol john unertl forgot more about optics than most will ever know .kudos tu2

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally prefer the 2" Ultra-Varminters, Vultures or BV-20's for their light gathering, but this 1.5" 10X Varminter with dehorned mounts makes for a pleasant low profile, largely negating the need for a bubble level in precision work.

Posts: 663 | Location: Seabeck WA | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's kind of like putting an afterburner on a turtle. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
It's kind of like putting an afterburner on a turtle. Big Grin

Eeker animal

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see someone out at KRRC. Nov2014 was devastating to us other than the ousting of Russ Hauge!

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote