New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inline rifle to pistol, legal?
 Login/Join

<OutKaste>
posted
Would it be legal to cut down a bolt action inline rifle into pistol length.? 15" and put it in an XP style centergrip stock.
I would think not since they do not have to be registrered (or do they). But you never know.
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
In short..... NO

If the action started out life as a rifle it must remain a rifle and there is a min barrell length.

But if an action started out as a pistol its no problem to turn it in to a rifle.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your use of the term "inline" leads me to believe you are asking about a muzzleloader??? If so, yes, you can build a pistol from an inline muzzleloading rifle......UNLESS it is one of the very few muzzleloading rifles that the BATF classifies as a firearm.........

Or, you could try to find one of these......it's a Knight Hawkeye and was discontinued several years ago......I found this one last year, it has never been fired...

-

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's an inline blackpowder rifle, it's not a firearm (per GCA of 68), so you should be able to cut it down?...

Good question. Did you buy it new, and if so, did you have to fill out a 4473 & pass Background Check?

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<OutKaste>
posted
Ooooooooohhhh! Gonehuntin, that's what I was talking about. I thought that they made something like that and wasn't just a dream. It's even SS. Do you want to get rid of that?

Bill M, I haven't bought anything yet. Just doing research. Hate to go and buy something and then find out what I want to do can not be done.

Thanks for the replies guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could probably be talked out of it.......but it would be expensive [Big Grin]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote