Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Recoil pad angle
 Login/Join

posted
What do you gentlemen think of the recoil pad installation jigs sold by B-Square and others? Are they worth the bucks or do think the old marking tape, hope for no nicks method is better?

Posts: 6 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually when I mount a pad on a rifle and shotguns. Most have been shotguns. I install 90 degrees to the comb line.

I have a GAG rifle stock im doing with a straight,high comb, Parellel with the barrel line. I see the angle that the stock game with is more than 90 degrees more like 93-95 or so, which makes sense compared to a comp that angles down .

I have to cut some off to get the right length of pull .

Is more than 90 degrees common mounting for a staight/parralel to the barrel high comb stock ?

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The real stockmaker guys can, no doubt, tell you more and with greater authority than I but here's my take.
Mostly, stocks can be made with a pitch angle of zero or neutral pitch(this relative to the bore line)and nobody's feelings would be hurt. Apart from this, the pitch angle is varied according to the type of gun and it's prevalent use.
A rifle which is a sporting rifle and intended to be quick to mount and fire from the offhand position will be pitched up very slightly (up referring to the muzzle of the rifle). A rifle built as a prone rifle, with high comb and very straight stock, will be pitched down significantly.
A rifle with zero or neutral pitch can be described as a do-all and most are likely built this way.
If one uses the comb as a reference and cuts at 90 degrees the pitch may be down which is not what you really want for most field use IMO. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It should be mounted perpendicular to the bore.
The easiest way to do this is to lay the stock upside down on a flat surface and sand the butt down until it is perpendicular to the table.

-Spencer