New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value - 1909 Peruvian?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went through some piles in my closet and found this. Thought it was a 1935 when I bought it, didn't look close enough. Have several Mexican and Turkish actions to cover small rings, so this is an extra to me. Besides, don't like open sites or high scope mounts and would never think of grinding the charger hump, so wanted to ask opinions of what it is worth on the market before I randomly assigned a price. Any input is appreciated.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Those are desirable actions, unfortunately many like yours are pitted. Sometimes pits can be tigged though. Put it on GB or AA and let the market set the value.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Identical to an Argentine except for markings?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howard -

Actually, there are three (that I know of) significant differences. The rear charger hump is much higher, no hinged bottom metal, and it is a small ring action.

fla3006 - Would have put it on the auctions but have no seller feedback there (lots of buyer) and have had little/no luck selling on them.

Thanks.

Ken

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
PM sent

Identical to an Argentine except for markings?

Howard
IIRC the Peruvian has small threads and large ring. The charger hump is extra tall(very desirable IMO). The front ring is longer than the standard LR98(+.200?) and the bolt is shorter.

Often this action has the ring ground to small ring dimensions or has the ring ground egg shaped to allow for a slimmer stock. The small threads allow this modification.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
This Peruvian was likewise pitted. Tom Burgess cleaned it up for me, now in the hands of my namesake, or more likely Duane Wiebe.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here is mine factory original.

Here's another view. The Peruvian is the one on top with two Argies below it. You can easily see the differences in the charger hump & the reciever ring length that fla 3006 was explaining.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Doug, I get all gooy whenever you post that picture. There's one on GB now, not quite as nice.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug, I get all gooy whenever you post that picture.

LOL! Just let me know whenever you need a boost & I will post it again! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Are we looking at the same photo? All I see is a barrelful of donor parts. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are we looking at the same photo? All I see is a barrelful of donor parts

EekerEekerEekerEekerEekerEekerEekerEeker
EekerEekerEekerEekerEekerEekerEekerEeker LOL!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Here's a nice one with all the work already done: Peruvian

quote:
The finish, fit and feel of this rifle is amazing. I have no idea when or by whom this conversion was done, but it is incredible. Has a competition Timney trigger.

. Eeker

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted 11 May 2010 08:42 Hide Post
Here's a nice one with all the work already done: Peruvian

That one is a large ring/ large threads 1935. I used to think all Peruvians where small ring till I pulled the barrel off my 1935.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Here's a nice one with all the BUBBA work already done...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Here's a nice one with all the BUBBA work already done...

It's about as BUBBA as it gets. Look at the overhead view of the bolthandle. Scalloped root, WTF!?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back before the internet made us all experts, that looks like a 1960's-1970's home made conversion. Typical fajen stock, hand stamped caliber, forge bolt handle.

It is not the best workmanship, but I am sure the guy who built it, built it to use.

I hate to post which rare actions of today my friends and I let get away! The internet has educated us all now, but too late!!!! 33/40 and Mexican mausers were always held in high regard. Peruvians were neat, but just another mauser. 7mm x 57 VZ-24's were all over the place. The trouble was we all lived too close to Springfield Sporters! Oberndorfs were mausers; the others just also rans!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an action on Gunbroker a couple of months ago. Paid $250.00, way too much.... But I wanted it.

It had been polished, blued, D & T and the bolt handle altered, but the charger left high. No pitting, but the crest partially polished off, or worn.

The bolt body, guide rib, etc. is crisp, though.

Ken

Ken

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone has interest in this one let me know via PM. Have the opportunity to buy one of two 22H Mausers and need the cash!

Thanks.