New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early sporting bolt actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About when did bolt action sporters begin to show up in Africa in any numbers? What kind/caliber were they? troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say late 1880's, 1890-ish as earliest?

Mauser 88's, early Mausers like 93's were used by the boers, aswell as 95's. (7x57)

Lee made his first bolt gun in 1879 but not the late 1880's did he get anything really moving with the lee-metfords I believe? (.303)

French bolts? 1878 Gras bolt (11m, 10,3 mm)? Lebel in the late 1880's?(8x56R)?

I am no historian, but I would say before 1890 there were probaly very very few. I am sure it took a few year few them to get around.It would be colonial armies that brought them at first probably, especially after the 1895 Berlin piss-up where they divided the content up.

These are also military designed rifles, so as to true, intended sporting designs? You could probably add a few years to that.

Any experts want to venture?

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote