New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firing pin removal, PH / Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I *think* the spring could be weak... I recently purchased a used Parker Hale that in MHO has a slow lock time. The bad thing is I don't know how to properly take the bolt apart. The rifle shoots exceptionally well, but sometimes the trigger sear disengagment is noticably slower from the previous shot. Once I do get it apart, is it best to install a lighter pin / new spring combo or just a new spring? Lil' help... don't know where to get parts for it either. TY.

[Confused]

Posts: 42 | Location: PA | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably just needs cleaning.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fast response... although I should add that the gun doesn't appear to have been shot much. Not a mark on it anywhere, including no evidence of powder fouling. Looks like it resided in someones gun cabinet for most of its life.

As far as cleaning, I have lubricated the bolt, which didn't seem to help. Perhaps it needs disassembled to be properly cleaned, which leads us back to my initial question... the correct take down method for this particular bolt is...?

The Parker Hale is a 1200... roll over comb style stock, with side safety.

[Frown]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Look on top of the barrel, does it say "Imported by Jana"? I think they were in Colorado. That was the first centerfire rifle I owned. I still to this day have never seen a rifle with a blue as deep and black as the Parker-Hale 1200 super I bought for $158.00 back in 1973. I wish I still had it.

I believe the firing pin can be removed just like on a regular m98 Mauser. In that you unscrew it.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Catch the sear of the cocking piece on the edge of a table and push down on the bolt till there is a gap visible between the cocking piece and the bolt shroud. Place a penny in this gap. Now depress the small plunger on the left side of the shroud and unscrew the bolt. The spring and firing pin will now be exposed. Clamp the forward part of the firing pin in a vice with soft jaws. Push the shroud forward till the penny falls out. While holding the shroud forward turn the cocking piece � turn and pull it off the firing pin.
Every thing is probably covered in dry waxy oil, making the firing pin fall slow. Clean off with solvent.

Hart

[ 11-04-2003, 05:57: Message edited by: hart ]

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lemme see... I have it here... it says, "Parker-Hale LTD Birmingham, England". The only other markings, with the exception of a crown proof, is the caliber. The blue is like you recall, very very dark, nearly black. This rifle is almost too nice to hunt with, with an extraordinary piece of wood with crisp clean checkering and rosewood / ivory accents. I like it a great deal. The fact that it shoots under .5 doesn't hurt it a bit either. And to think, that's with my first handloads. R&D hasn't even begun.

I'm not certain on the "unscrew" part... so I'll hold off until maybe someone points me to a webpage with pics. Speaking of pics, I could post one if I knew the proceedure. Hey there ya go, two questions in one. I just don't want to mark this gun up. It ain't a Savage 30-30 and I'm just fussy that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang Hart... you posted while I was authoring that last one to Nitroman. I'll give your explanation a whirl, but I see that I'll need a padded vise first. Any thoughts on the new / lighter pin or stay with what it came with? Thanks again.

[Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can do without the vice. Just a convienent way to hold it. The military mauser had a hole in the side of the butt stock for the soldier to insert the firing pin and push.

Hart

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hart,
I am damn glad i saw your post before i typed all that in!!

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi go here to read how to do all work on a mauser.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/maintenance.asp

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang Smithey... that is just what I was hoping for... you da man. Thanks a bunch.

[Big Grin]