THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN '06 rechambered to 300Win. w/original brl?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could an FN sporter have the bolt face and extractor opened and be rechambered to 300 Winnie? I realize the mag rails might need to be modified. I love the original barrel profiles on these, and yes I know I could have a new barrel turned to look the same.

Also who makes or installs the 2 position side swing mauser safety that involes using the original shroud and making a few cuts( I don't recall what these were called)?

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yes. Get the parts for converting the safety from Brownells.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its been done a lot of times, but I prefer a good model 98 for that conversion...I have seen the FN get headspace when converted to 7 STW, 300 WBy etc. on more than one ocassion, there is one in Brockmans shop right now...

I love the FN action but I only use 06 type calibers along with some belted calibers like the 375 H&H and 300 H&H..The 300 Win might also be OK, but I am not sure one way or the other. I am not sure where to draw the line with the FN...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think pressure wise I would be fine, I'm not a redline handloader. I keep my 416 rem that is built on an FN to moderate loads,2300 fps kills just as dead and probably backs the pressure off by over 5000 psi.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, this is a different FN than the ones that were used by Sears right? Post wwii FN commercials, are they ok with higher pressures? (I have a sears rifle in 270 win. that I shoot the hornaday light mags in)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sears guns (JC Higgins) are the same action I am refering to. My 416 is built on one, they say "Action made in Belgium" on the left side.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FN Mauser not able to handle a .300 wby? Wasn't all the early Weatherbys on the FN Mauser action? Of the ones you've seen that have not been strong enough to hold headspace were they all Pre WW2 or WW2 actions? Have you ever seen a post-war FN Supreme as in the Browning Safari/Weatherby/Winslow not hold headspace? Thanks! Billy R

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, the FN IS a 98 action. It is a modernized version, no thumb cut in some along with the stripper clip hump removed (on some) but it is still a 98. See chapter 21 of Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Haas.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote