New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf stock for big bores?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at the Great American Gunstock Company's website, and seems to me that Obendorf [sic] Classic would make for a tough-looking 416 or 458 cal.
http://www.gunstocks.com/Stock%20styles.html
Looks like the Schnabel is plenty big to cut down as needed, and the drop and wrist look well thought out, the forearm not too long.
Truthfully, that Freischutz looks even tougher, if I knew I wouldn't scope it, but that's doubtful.
Anyone have any experience with them or similar?
Do those big raised side panels get in the way?
Any pics of this style of stock?
The ones on their site are none too clear.
Also, where else can a fellow find such a thing?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Bwana- I duplicated a Frieschutz Classic pattern using my blank to make this stock:

-

Probably not the best design for a heavy caliber, about 2" drop at heel, crescent steel buttplate, overall a lightweight design. The panels would add bulk to the action area though.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun Fla3006!

Any more pics of it you would care to post?

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Freishutz is way too light with way too much drop for a big bore. The Oberdorf classic is really nice, especially with iron sights.

I like to build "old fashioned" Mausers. I have the former stock on a 96 Swede that is set up to look like an old Mannlicher (long barrel, butterknife bolt handle, reciever peep, barrel band swivel etc. It is strictly an iron sight rifle. I have another mauser in 338/284 that I built to be similar to a 318 Rigby. I used the Great American Oberdorf classic on it. Used a black Pachmeyer pad, three leaf express sights, barrel band swivel, Warne quick release rings with an old Weaver V4.5. Stock is semifancy English. (The first stock mentioned is real dark Claro.) The 338/284 turned out as a great hunting rifle. The stock works well with both scope and iron sights.

Midway also sells a similar stock. I believe it is the last of the old Fajen designs. I have one in fancy walnut I bought on eBay. I bedded it to a 416 Taylor and shot it quite a bit. I have decided to leave the Taylor in a second kevlar stock I made for it. I am going to rebed the walnut stock to a 425 Westley Richards I am making. The Fajen stock looks a lot like the Great American Oberndorf, but has more drop. It will work with a scope, but is not comfortable. It is perfect with irons. It is slightly slimmer and more dainty than the Great American. For the 416, I soldered on a Ruger 10/22 barrel lug then glassed the lug and the recoil lug and put a crossbolt between the recoil lug and the magazine. I have shot around 100 rounds through it with no ill effects.

Bottom line, my advise would be:

Freishutz - Small or light medium bore with irons.

Oberndorf - Anything you like the look on, either sight.

Midway European Classic - Anything you like the look on, but only occasional scope use.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mark, here's some more pics on another thread:

http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=008068

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Art, very helpful.
Fla3006, nice work, there.
What wood did you use?
Maybe a denser variety, and a good recoil pad would make that thing manageable. It looks pretty hefty in the (poor) photo on their website; nice to hear a "true story."
Aren't there two schools as to whether the comb should drop or now?
Less felt recoil vs faster reaquisition?
It sure do look classy. This would indeed be for a bruiser big bore, so I'll probably stay with the Oberndorf.
Anyone else with some nice pics? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Great American states they have original stocks they can duplicate for you. I say try it, if you don't like how it feels, change the stock.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitroman, you make it sound so easy!
Let me guess: you're either rich or single.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be,
The drop can be set to set you in perfect alignment with the open sights. The higher comb that is common with scoped rifles of today was slowly developed over time with the high comb to reduce upward muzzle whip. If you want the stock to fit you with open sights then a certain amount of that is inevitable.

The one below that I built is similar to that of fla3006's stock, with the small difference being the escutcheon on the forearm with the barrel hold down and the Lyman 35 rear sight AND the recoil pad. I do believe you would find this stock to be light for a big bore.
 -

-

I built the stock below for a .404 Jeffrey but it does not have the classic old german look to it.

-
photo by Mustafa Bilal - Turkshead Productions

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my stocks are reminesant of Chics design or the Oberndorf, they are set up with low combs for iron sights...I shoot them with scopes and it has never been a problem with me..I prefer such a set up.

I grew up shooting iron sighted rifles re: pre 64 M-70 and Rem. 722s, and at some point we started putting Weaver 3X scopes on them and I never knew that was a no, no....still don't. Guess I got lucky, thank goodness.....

I know I can shoot a scoped rifle set up for irons but I cannot shoot irons on a rifle designed for scope use, unless one puts a very high ugly, bulky, pukey looking set of irons on it, and they would probably interfere with low scope mounting.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote