Find
Notify
Tools

Free Floating Browning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

I have a Browning A-bolt that has had a new Browning stock installed and the gun was grouping around 4" @ 100yds, I noticed the barrel was touching the stock on one side hard so I started shimming the action to get the barrel free floating. At 1 time I got a 3 shot group under 1" then the shims shifted and went back to 4" groups. I then sanded the stock out to where the barrel is free floating but my groups are still back to 3-4"..

Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just try to rework my reloads again and try to come up with another load that fits the gun ?

Browning A-bolt 30:06
less than 100 rounds shot through.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Is the action glass-bedded? I'm guessing it is not if you're using shims. If it isn't, properly bedding the action and free-floating the barrel would be the first things I'd do. Once you've done that try it again. If it isn't shooting smaller groups then start experimenting with upward force (shims) between the barrel and the very end of the forearm.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action is not glass bedded. I do have the barrel free floating for the entire length but still not shooting good enough.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It is VERY unlikely you'll get the accuracy you want using shims on the action. If the bedding is not consistant, firm and tight you won't achieve it with shims. I recommend glass-bedding the action and the chamber area of the barrel.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
It is VERY unlikely you'll get the accuracy you want using shims on the action. If the bedding is not consistant, firm and tight you won't achieve it with shims. I recommend glass-bedding the action and the chamber area of the barrel.

Absolutely. You can "shim" the action out of true which will not do a thing for accuracy. Level and bed the action where it sits without shims, and then adjust the forearm to float the barrel.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go back to the blackboard and have the barreled action correctly inletted!!!! Then if it doesn,t shoot the way you like try free floating the barrel, then if that doesnt work then glass bed the whole thing!! Changing your cartridge load at this point is a waste of time and components. The good basics first,then you can tweak everything to dial it in. VAN

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies,

Since I have the barrel free floated now I will check on glass bedding the action.