Notify
Tools

Filing problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is a better for filing:
Oil of some sort or something else?
I have heard that chalk works well but am not sure.

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked about filing a few months back and the basics are....

NEVER oil a file, you want to keep all oils off them, including your fingers. Keep them clean and use a file card frequently.

Chalk is OK but I took Jack belks advice and filed a can with powdered lime. They never cut so well. Like shredding cheese.

Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
The use of chalk keeps the files teeth from loading up which can tear up the finish. I actually use soapstone on my files. You can get it at Industrial Supply on 3rd West in SLC.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree chalk works pretty well....

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randm'Man, No lubricants at all. You will get chips in between your files teeth and the work piece, this is especialy true when draw filing as it will drag a chip the length of your stroke. I degrease my files with brake cleaner, let them dry, and then run them across a stick Railroad chalk I bought along time ago by the bucket full. You can use lime also if you have any. Rap on the bench and reload them with chalk every few draws (or strokes). youll learn a tap dance with it [Big Grin]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote