New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 feeding problem
 Login/Join

<SnapDragon>
posted
I have a new M70 30/06 (blue/wood) that is having a problem feeding cartridges from the left side of the magazine. They often do not release from the magazine soon enough and get jammed in sideways. Is there anything I can do to help this problem or must I send it back to the factory or to a gunsmith? My other M70's, both new and old, never have had any feeding problem. This newest one does it frequently enough to be real annoying. I did not know whether smoothing the lips with something like steel wool would help.

<Don G>
posted
First you have to decide whether you want to keep that rifle. If you send it in for factory service there is no telling what you'll get back. BTDT-GTTS

If you like all else about the rifle, take it to a 'smith.

Most important questions. Does it shoot? Does it fit you? If so, keep it.

Just my opinion,
Don

<Ola>
posted
Hey Snapdragoon!

Your other M70'es that feeds well: Are they of the "Pre 64 model", or is it standard M70?

I have got the same problem with my M70 "new Pre-64".

I had these problems with roundnose bullets in the original caliber 30-06, and have the same problem today with a .338-06 Imp. barrel. Spitser bullets work very well. This very evening I have been studying the mechanism, trying to form the magasine-lips to get it feed with roundnoses. Seems to be imposible to me. Im'fact I have got the feeling that the system are prodused for a larger carteridge than the 30-06, but barreled with this carteridge that is to thin to work well.

Anyone else with the same experience, and who knows what to do?

<SnapDragon>
posted
Ola, I have a pre-64 30/06, a pre-64 .243, a new pre-64-type CRF 7mm RM stainless, a new pre-64-type CRF 30/06 stainless, a new pre-64-type CRF .375 stainless, and the brand new pre-64-type CRF 30/06 in blue/wood. All feed well except the brand new 30/06. I have only shot 150 gr spire points out of it and they seem to catch on the edge of the chamber if they were in the left side of the magazine. I fed some military FMJ's through it and could not get it to jam.