New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Pillars from a bad bedding job
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just pillar bed a stock and am not overly thrilled about how the tang piller came out. I used thoes Remington grooved pillars that Brownells sells and bed them with AcraGlass gel. Is there any way to remove these (heat maybe) and be able to salvage the pillars or am I stuck drilling these out? The stock is a synthetic B&C stock.
Thanks

Posts: 352 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Try to somehow fix the tang pillar as is. Since I don't know what's not thrilling about it thats easy to say.

Perhaps a hole saw will cut it out. When drilling into a stock one must be very carefull to go slow and not bugger things up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just make sure the hole is large enought that the screw doesnt touch the sides, and grind the pillar down a little bit and use a little marine tex over the top.

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I turned down a piece of steel on the lathe so it would fit inside the hole of the pillar, I left a collar on the dowel so it would not pass right through the pillar. I then heated up my steel dowel and set it inside the pillar and let it sit for a few seconds then tapped on it with a hammer to drive the pillar out.

The heat softend up the acra glass gel and slid the pillar out easily. But be carefull not to burn your stock.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote