Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-338 on std 98 action ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I am really showing my ignorance here ( nothing new )but other than the feed rails, bolt face and mag box, to fit the 8mm-338 case in a standard 98 action ( I have a 1908 brazilian action )how much has to be removed and from where ?? How much can be removed from the rear of the action instead of the front ??

I want to use this action as a switch barrel in 416 Taylor and 8mm-338....now, before everyone starts carrying on about switch barrels,I want to do this basically as an exercise to see if I can do it.

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated. Smiler

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you about the feed rails and how much you can remove from the rear of the action for your particular cartridge.

But I can tell you that I once owned a 1908 Brazilian action that was as soft as butter. the locking lugs were set back.

Not saying yours will be that way. Just saying have it checked out and react accordingly before you spend a bunch of money on it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True, lots of the pre WW1 Mausers are soft; and those are most often made by DWM and Lowe since Mauser was involved with the Turkey contracts and was not allowed by contract to make rifles for anyone else.
So, yes, you can do what you want to do. But first have Blanchard heat treat your receiver.
BTW, I have an FN already ready to shoot in 416-338, for sale. PM me if you are interested. Reloading dies come with it.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not use a 1908 DWM action for any magnum cartridge or for any high pressure cartridge. Heat treating would be a good idea. These actions are very nicely made but are soft. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3768 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should you go ahead, I sure recommend you do all the necessary mods to the action prior to heat treating.

Blanchard does a great job. They come back LOOKING terrible, but easily cleaned up with the finest glass beads

My website shows just such a switch barrel..though it is a 338 WM and 416 Taylor

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the helpful information. I also have a VZ24 action with an 8-06 barrel on it, so I might swap the two actions, cut a 8-06 RCBS chamber and fit that barrel to the Brazilian and use the VZ for the magnum.
dpcd, if it wasn't for the fact that I live in Australia ( wouldn't change) I would be interested in your rifle ( I would like to see some pics though ), and Duane, the rifle you built was the inspiration for this build. Thank you all again, now I'm back to the original question.....can an equal amount or more be removed from the rear of the action instead of reducing lug area thickness and increasing ramp angle ?

My choice of calibres is purely a personal preference, I have a " thing " for 6.5, 8mm, 9.3 and 41 Cool

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see now where you are.
I like those calibers you list too.
Your VZ24 is good for any caliber. Those are never bad.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Yuma,
You should be able to make that 8 x 338 work without opening the receiver both front and rear. It's simply not necessary. A commercial FN magazine box with and internal length of 3.400 inches will be long enough
To properly seat 200gr 8mm bullets. Your seated length is probably going to be 3.350 to 3.375 .

Going to an FN or aftermarket Mauser magazine box with an internal length of 3.400 inches means you will have about .070 of feed ramp material to remove to match the bottom of the ramp to the front wall of the mag box. This amount taken simply is not enough compromise the strength of the receiver.

The 8 x 57 will do about 85% of what that 8 x 338 will do. We all know that killing game is all about shot placement. Properly placed bullets from either will do the trick.

All you need is enough velocity to reliably expand the bullet. inside 250 an 8 x 57 will do that. No action mods. Necessary or hardening of the 08 Brazilian either.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you who recommend heat treating, should the action be annealed before heat treating? If so, at what temperature?

I ask because it is generally recommended to anneal before color case hardening. It's supposed to relieve stress.

Thanks.

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No; it will effectively be annealed as part of their heat treatment/carburizing process as they slowly bring it up to the carburizing temperature. They will anneal it separately for you if you ask for it but they will charge you more and nothing is gained by doing that.
I have discussed this with Blanchard.
You also have to specify to Blanchard exactly what you want; such as, you want the surface to be RC35-40 with a case depth of.010- .015. That its what I ask for for Mausers.
Not real hard, but tough.
And yes, they do come out with a rough gray finish, but it is not deep and will polish easily. Don't bother polishing them before you send them, as I did once; waste of time.
I never had one warp; they know how to do it correctly.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to everyone for the information,
Timan, I have an 8x57 ( with handloads its brilliant ) and the 8-06,( one of my favourites ), one of the reasons for the 8-338 was to have a case to match the 416T in the action......and my preference for 8mm over 30 cal. and with my 9.3's ( 9.3x74R, 9.3X53R and my 9.3x55Imp. wildcat )I don't need to go to 338.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Just a thought, when talking Brazilian actions, does this mean the DWM 1908 Brazilian contract Mausers in 7x57 ?

Roger

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does; all pre WW1 actions are suspect; DWM and Lowe made them and many are soft. Mauser could not make any for other customers as they were contractually obligated to Turkey for their total production.
I see that all this was already discussed above.