Find
Notify
Tools

Very interesting Mauser full stock design
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pre war Mauser full stock sporter

I just saw this rifle while doing a web search and thought I'd post it here. Any views on the design of the front end from the experts here would be very welcome.

Thanks and good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 3/4 length stock was used on the African model, with about a 26" barrel. It was supposed to have a rugged military appearance.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is what's called an African model. A friend has one very similar that is missing the short forend piece ahead of the 45 degree cut, bought it for the "buy it now" price of $250 on GunBroker, there were no other bidders. sleep

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, beautiful rifle...

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
CHERRY! Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Galzans is one street over in my old home town from the East Side Resturant. It would take seventy nights at the East Side to pay for that rifle. What to do? Both?

The East Side

If you have a fast connection click on Ticki Tocki at the bottom of the page and see our friend Nick doing the big beer cheer.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that rifle is an "African" model. I have seen two "African" models, a 10.75x68 and a .404 Jeffery, and they differ from this rifle. The original "Africans" did have a long stock that left app. 6-8" of barrel showing but they had a Schnabel tip not a metal capped fore end. Barrel length is about 27" on the original "African".

Also, the originals had iron sights only, I believe. The 10.75 I saw had single standing and 1 leaf and the .404 had a single standing, 2 or 3 folding leaves and a small ladder type longe range sight in front of the folding leaves.

The 10.75 was an Oberndorf and the .404 was a W.J. Jeffery. The "African" model was offered by Oberndorf, Rigby and Jeffery, I believe.

The ones I saw had single triggers.

I don't have a copy of Jon Speed's book on sporting Mausers, but if anyone has a copy please look up the serial number of this rifle. It is on the hanging tag and looks to be # 117550. A list of serial numbers is located toward the end of the book.

This rifle appears to be a more deluxe version that the "African" model.

If I can get a hold of Speed's book, I will post my findings.

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments.

RCG,

Thanks and I shall look forward to hearing from you,

Good hunting, gentlemen,

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCG,
I think you are right.

SN 117550 is from 1936-1937. That specific serial number is not listed on page 453 of Speed et al.

Page 413 shows good photos of: Three "Special African Model" Mausers.

SN 117550 is not a "Special Range Rifle." It is not a "Special African Model."

The ad says it is a "Special Order." One of a Kind.

1)Look at the spoon-shaped bolt handle.
2)Note the buttplate trap for cleaning kit.
These are distinguishing characteristics of the Model M Carbine, "the Mauser company's idea of what a light mountain carbine should look like."

Of course, this rifle has a 25" instead of a 20" barrel, and it has the great German claw mounts.

The 20" Model M's weighed only 7 pounds and were for "the serious mountain hunter." All the Model M variations (pattern nuumbers: 270, 271, 272, 274, 276) were offered in this 8x60mm chambering.

Special.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, it is justice that you miss a gem at a giveaway price once in a while. But a friend of yours has to end up with it?????? Why is that? Do you have some kind of armory bargain radar in place?

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
It's fine except for that abortion of a magazine box opening lever on the floorplate! If you take it hunting, somethig is always opening your magazine and dumping the rounds in the mud! That's the first thing I remove from Kraut Mauser sporters!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP:

Thanks for the Speed book info.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Chic, obviously he saw it before I did (he watches the gun sites constantly it seems, scalps lots of good deals). It had been posted for about 15 minutes when he saw it and immediately clicked on "buy it now" which was $250! It was described as "unknown military rife" and the seller (a pawnshop) obviously didn't know what they had. Was in excellent condition too, only thing wrong was the missing forend piece and cap. My friend is a big time Mauser collector, has owned some very rare pieces, but he turned around and sold it for somewhere around $2500 I think.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one of those in a 9.3x62 at one time, it was a handsome rifle and my first 9.3x62, got a lot of ammo with it, shot some buff with it but it didn't fair well as the bullets were not good.....Wish I still had it, but I traded it to a crook for a new saddle (he was a saddle maker) and 5 years later and a come to Jesus converstation in the middle of the Shoshone Indian rservation, I got my saddle less the stirrups but hey by then I was grateful to get that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote