New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester mod 100 how old ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a win 100 in 308 cal and looks brand new unfired, can anyone tell me how old it is and its worth SN9088X Thanks Len

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
off-topic to your question- I read an article in Precision Shooting a few years back that described the 100 as capable of "self firing" due to it's firing pin:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guns-Firearms-Projectile-150...r-100-Firing-Pin.htm

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader len:
I just bought a win 100 in 308 cal and looks brand new unfired, can anyone tell me how old it is and its worth SN9088X Thanks Len

Your Model 100 was made in 1964.

The model 100 recall was issued as notice 7-1990 by Winchester.

In short, it advised that the firing pin may break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face. If this occurs, the firearm may fire before the action is locked causing damage to the firearm and injury to the shooter and/or bystanders.

A new firing pin was designed to replace the original pin. Winchester advised against use of the firearm until the replacement pin could be installed. Winchester advised to send the gun to a authorized service center for the pin replacement.

You can obtain additional info from Winchester at 1-800-852-5734. This is a dedicated line/number for the owners of the Winchester 100 concerning the firing pin recall.

The old firing pin was lathe turned - round. The new style is similar on the front and back but in the front midsection it has two flats milled, one on each side making the center section much stronger.

Upon completion of the recall/repair, the shop doing the work was to have test fired the gun and to then stamp an assigned letter on the inside top of the receiver as seen through the magazine well with the bolt retracted.

These letters were assigned to various repair centers and although not important as the shop ID, it is important in helping you determine if the repair was made. The letters that were stamped inside the top of the receiver were:
"B", "L", "N", or "X".

Thanks...Bill.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote