New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new Leupold VX III. Concerned.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I plan on putting one of Leupolds new VX III 3.5-10X40 on a new custom rifle (the reason I feel I can justify posting this here). I haven't seen one yet as things take a little longer getting up here. I understand the new added features and have questions regarding the fast focus eyepiece. This is the only feature that has me a little concerned. I like solid, rugged, and foolproof and feel that this feature moves away from these attributes. I'm convinced that the focussing of a scope has an effect on parallax, and proved it to myself once again yesterday at the range. So.... the idea of such an easily adjusted focus piece worries me a little. I liked to be able to set the focus to my liking and forget about it.

Since I haven't had my hands on this new scope yet I was hoping for some input from those who have. Do I have a legitimate concern?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Many of the high-end European scopes have used a "fast focus" for several years. I have several Swarovski scopes with the feature and have gotten quite comfortable with them. Now focusing an old style Leupold seems like a hassle. I wouldn't be concerned about the ruggedness of the feature.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using european scopes with fast focus eyepieces for several years and find them to be both convenient and reliable.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do you need to fast focus? Sounds like it must get mis-focused alot!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do you need to fast focus? Sounds like it must get mis-focused alot!

Believe it or not a persons eyes do vary slightly depending on your health,factors such as eyestrain and lighting conditions.Having a quick focus eyepiece allows one to correct for these factors.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck-My new 6.5x20x40vxiii just arrived at my dealer http://www.bashawsports.com/ this week and I will have it early next week.If that is an indication you will not have to wait long.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"fast focus" is a great addition to their features..you should have no problem with it

stubblejumper....did you get the scope with the "varmit" recticle?

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldguns-When I ordered the scope it was supposed to have a fine duplex.I will see the reticle when the scope arrives in a day or two.I use a leica 1200 rangefinder so I do not need a reticle to estimate range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When the locking ring is loosened on an old style scope, the slop in the threads will noticeably move the image when you move it, as in refocusing. I have several of the later Burris, Zeiss and Nikon scopes with the fast focus, and this is eliminated. The focus ring won't turn easy enough that it'll change anyway during use, and sure is a hell of a lot easier to get focused. Once it's set you will pretty much not screw with it, but I've spent hours trying to focus one of the old style Leupolds till I got it right, with the new fast focus, it takes about a minute or two. If it worries you, put a witness mark where it is focused right, but I haven't had a problem moving while hunting. Another big bonus is most of them have a soft ring to grip, won't cut if on a big rifle and it touches your brow. I've had one of the old Leupolds just touch me, felt like someone stuck their finger on my brow, still drew blood.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote