THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 or Sako 75 - which action for a custom?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
elwood,...my actions are L691's. These were used by Magnum research to build their "mountain eagle" rifles. I purchased one in standard long action, and liked it so much I bought 2 more in magnum boltfaces. They are chrome-moly steel though. I don't beleive they were even made in stainless but I could be wrong. These are not the 75's.

Jerry's sports had them about a year ago for some outrageously low price,..so I grabbed them up. Called back to buy some more, but they were all gone.

Sorry I can't help you with a sako75.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elwood, I'll check my e-mail, but it won't be until Monday - need to get back to the office first.

I saw that you were looking for a Sako (75) action. I don't know how good your chances are of locating one of those... In particular in Europe.

First thing I'd do, would be to ask at Sako (http://www.sako.fi), or the German importer of Sako, whoever that might be?

In the States, I'd keep an eye on GunsAmerica, occasionally there are Sako actions for sale there - or AuctionArms. Up until about 10 years ago, Sako actions were available for sale to the general public - I bought an AV from Brownells at the time. But I don't believe they sell Sako actions any longer. Worth a try, maybe?

I think this dealer http://www.accuflite.com/ offers custom rifles on Sako 75s, and I believe I once saw a claim they sold actions as well?? Try their website, and give them a call in person. They are not cheap, but they usually carry a great selection of Sako stuff.

Naturally, you should also try Google. Just be aware: if you find and buy an action in the States, it is actually the same hassle and expense to export an action as it is to export a complete rifle.

Good luck in your quest!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako's USA ads for the 75 reads: "Technically, its made of steel. Although there are custom gunsmiths who consider it gold". What a load of BS! Maybe some liabilty lawyers think its made of gold! They don't even sell a barreled action over here. I can understand them not wanting to sell just a action as it could be barreled by some idiot and blow up. But they surly could sell the barreled actions and let you put a real walnut stock on it instead of a tupperware one that comes on their SS rifles. Surley some guy isn't going to sue them cause his stocking job cracked. I would love to buy just the barreled action. I'm at a total loss as to why they won't sell it that way. Just sell it with the same profit margin as a compleat rifle. If not at least nix the ads about the custom gunsmiths when your don't sell your rifle where its pratical to have a custom rifle built with it. FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elwood, I am surprised (and happy) that so many people actually support the idea of the SAKO being tweaked up.

I am a major SAKO guy, I have 14 of them, 11 of them are M 75's. Two of them are being restocked and serekoted currently to be closer to my ideal hunting rig.

Having said that, the reason so many folks actually start with the Rem 700 is because it is easier to work on, as well as the previously mentioned wide availability of

aftermarket parts. I don't think any Rem as a base rifle is near as good as a base SAKO 75, but it is also a lot easier to find a smith who can work on a Rem action compared

to a SAKO action. Also, bench type shooters don't like the 3 lug and 60 degree bolt lift of the SAKO as it takes more energy to work the bolt than a 90 degree (2 lug typical

lift) bolt and therfore is more prone to move the rifle in your rest setup. I think the 60 degree bolt is awesome for a hunting rig, and it also keeps your thunb away from the

scope when working it quickly in a hunting situation. I think this is one of the reasons that the Browning A-bolt is a popular hunting rifle. I personally won't have a hunting

rig that doesn't have a 60 degree bolt. It is a better mousetrap for a hunting rifle.

I am not a 'smith' by any means and am actually a bit leary about taking a trigger apart--so I have not taken one of my SAKO triggers and 'smoothed it up' or 'stoned it' but I

have adjusted all of mine, and right around 2 lbs. (which is what the SAKO info. says) is about as light as you're going to get one without the adjustment screw becoming loose.

I've found that something right at 2 lbs. is excellent for me, maybe even a hair on the light side for hunting, but I'm used to that number, and shoot well both off the bench

and in the field.

So in conclusion, there are a whole bunch of reasons to use a Remington action as the basis for a custom project, I'm certain that many more folks will use them than they will

a SAKO, but I'm obviously a SAKO fan myself. In fact I only own one Remington, It was passed down form my Grandfather, a good shooter by the way, 270 Win, but it is over 55

years old, and it is just a favorite heirloom, not a shooter.

Good luck with your rig.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote