THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Replacement bolt for my Win 70 Classic SS (pre'64), hard to find?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement bolt for my Win 70 Classic SS (pre'64), hard to find?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello.
I'm looking for a replacement bolt for my rifle, but as it looks, it is not good to find. Are all the Winchester 70 parts getting hard to find now?
I want a bolt in stainless steel-model, standard (30-06) boltface, but it really dont have to be stainless if I cant find that. I might get use to have a black one, if nothing else is possible.

My other bolt are somewhere in the mountains......... Roll Eyes

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
460wby - Maybe someone else will have a better handle on it but, I think the only way you'll get one from Winchester (USRAC) would be to return the rifle. Perhaps, someone else has one for sale. You might post in the "Classifieds" forum.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to find a replacement bolt for a customer's rifle. The only place that had any was MGW in Missouri. They wouldn't sell a bolt unless they fitted it. That could be a problem given your location.

Oh, and it wasn't cheap. With shipping (across MO, not across the Atlantic), it was about $500 as I recall. It might be cheaper to replace the rifle and sell yours.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frowner

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Just thinking out loud here, but have you considered making one, or having one made?

In your local gun club there must be someone who either has a CNC mill and lathe, or has a friend who has access to them. With those tools and some carefully made measurments, it is not at all impossible to make something which would work well.

And, of course, you would not have to make it all in one piece. The bolt body, bolt handle, and locking lug portions could all be made as separate pieces and threaded/silver-soldered together. I am sure that in Europe there are numerous places which could do an excellent job of heat-treating the assemblage.

Smaller parts, such as firing pin parts, cocking piece, mainspring, etc. are still available from various smiths and auction sites, so you would not have to have those made or fitted. I know it all sounds very difficult and time consuming, but if time is not of paramount importance to you, by being patient, thinking it through, and taking it one step at a time, I think it could perhaps be done. If you or a true friend did the machine work, it should not cost a whole arm and leg either.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Model 70s are being made as we speak. I bet you could call the factory and ask someone there who might be able to order a bolt for one for you. I would think that any dealer could order parts.