THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone familiar with Verney Carron guns?
 Login/Join

<Sawblade>
posted
I'm not gonna ask one of those "What is this gun worth?" questions, but that is ultimately what I'm trying to find out. The problem is, I can't even find anyone that is familiar with these guns. I have a side by side 16ga that was given to me by an uncle. It has exquisite engraving on the metal work and very fine checkering on the VERY nice bostogne stock and forearm. I have taken it to several gunsmiths to try and get some info. They all say the same thing..."I'm not familiar with this gun or manufacturer, but I can tell you it is definately worth some money". Is anyone on here from France(that's where they are made) that might offer a little more insight? Legend has it that my uncle took it from a little ol' lady that was about to shoot him with it during WW II [Eek!] . If someone could at least put me on the right trail, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Saw, Verney-Carron is one of the most active remaining French gunmakers. Their production runs from utilitarian to luxury guns. I would be surprised if they hadn't a website.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Sawblade>
posted
They do have a website. I actually contacted the company a couple of years ago and provided what I thought was more than sufficient information on the gun. I even reproduced all markings on the gun including proof marks, etc. They still offered no help as to the value of this gun. I would like to find someone that I could actually place it in their hands and have them take a look at it. And you're correct, they do have some "luxury" guns and I think this would be considered one of them!!

Thanks for the response.

<Sawblade>
posted
I forgot to add that they had a flood in 1980 at their headquarters and all archive info was lost. So anything older than 20 years and they can't offer any help.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I didn't know about the archive disaster. Maybe you could post a photo + written details of markings and address the collectors community.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask the same question here and I am sure you will get some good answers.

http://www.gunshop.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Several years ago I received a catalog from this company. If I recall correctly, their standard quality doubles (both shotguns and rifles) were in the same price range of the Merkel and Krieghoff arms, with some of their high-end guns costing considerably more (U.S. $$). Kinda in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" category!! I have never seen one "in the flesh". But they do look beautiful.