THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheet metal work: Who can modifying a magazine??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:

I have a rifle magazine which I need to have modified as follows: the sides of the magazine are stamped so as to create two guide rails on the inside of the mag, which vertically. [In other words, the sheet metal sides are indented inwards so that a guide rail is formed on the inside of the magazine wall with a corresponding depression running vertically on the outside of each side wall of the magazine.

I am wildcatting this rifle and I need to have these stamped rails removed. It seems the way to to it would be to cut out the rails with a dremel cut off wheel [or simply mill them out] and then silver solder or gas weld in some pieces of the same thickness as the magazine walls to end up with a flush surface on the outside and inside. Might also require some polishing on the inside of the mag---if it can be reached with a dremel tool [its a pretty skinny magazine].

Who does this kind of work?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With out seeing the mag - I don't know - do the rails extend all the way down to the bottom? If not maybe you could just cut them out and leave it. Kind of lightening the rifle?

I would cut them out - make some replacement metal (you could prob get some scraps from a metal shop - not real critical - use some tin snips ) and take it to any welder and have them tack er in, then you could finish them out with a dremmel.

Of course this is all with out seeing the mag well.

V/R

Andrew

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Without seeing it, I think I would make a punch and hammer them out from the inside. Cut a L shaped piece of 1/4" plate and put the box on an anvil and gently tap them out with a 6 oz or so hammer. If I didn't do that then I would drill a 1/8" hole in the groove on one side and put a punch through the hole and work on it that way, when you have reached as far as you can drill another hole down the line and go at it some more. Flip it over and go at the other side.

Can you post a pic? I know this has to have been done a bit already, maybe someone who has actually done it can post how they did it.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
working on a 1914 303 enfield?

in any case, making your own box is fairly trivial, ifyou can cut/weld sheetmetal.

i like 1/16 sheetmetal for this

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise guys. I appreciate it. You've given me some ideas.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I modified a few 20 round ar15 mags so they would hold more than 6 rounds of 300 whisper. I just milled a 0.010" slot in the rib starting 1/2" from the top, to 1" from the bottom. Works well. I have considered fillng in the slot with metal, but have not so far. The mag is strong enough for now.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote