Find
Notify
Tools

The New Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
Well since I got you all answering questions I took a few scans (I'm not smart enough to use the digital camera and the youngest daughter isn't here). Made by Ernst Hunger, Wilmersdorf which is engraved on the mattted full length rib. Checkered spoon bolt, low swing safety, the sling swivels are obvious replacements but I'll prevail on JBelk or one of the other fine smiths to rectify that for me in the future. Blueing and finish look all original to me, about 95% condition, one ding near the end of the barrel only.

-
 -
 -

[ 05-20-2003, 05:29: Message edited by: browningguy ]

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thats a fine looking piece. If you start thinking again about adding a scope then I would suggest getting another gun, or two, or three, that have scopes and keep that one as it was intended. Or even starting with a rusty millsurp Mauser and bit by bit making a sister rifle with a scope, but keep that one as is. There is just something about guns like that one, Woolrich clothing, Willys jeeps and Model 85's that can never be realized with a scope.

As it is, it speaks of history, with a scope its just another nice gun. [Wink] Look at me, Im getting all nostalgic over your gun.. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yes, don't drill the receiver. Did you pick that up at the convention center show?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I decided not to mount the scope on it. JBelk had talked about how well they line up with the iron sights and playing with it today he was right. When you shoulder it, it has just the right cast to put the irons exactly on line with your eye. I also decided it just needed to be kept original.

fla3006, yes, I picked it up at the Brown Conv. show this weekend. The guy also says he also has 6-7 Mannlicher Schoener's that he didn't bring. He had one with him in 270 that looked in very nice condition for I think around $850. I kept his contact info, he was very resonably priced and seems like a good guy to know.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was tempted by that same rifle at the show as well. Also a few shows before it. It looked to me to be a nice piece for the price. I have a pre-war J.P. Sauer that is similar and is a joy to shoot with its open sights.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
browningguy---

Nice rifle!! The sling swivels are original to the gun. Several years ago somebody made a wide strap with narrow ends but I disremember who it was.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr. Belk, I guess I'll just have to build a new gun on a Mauser action to use my G&H mount. I was planning on building a 375 or 416 Taylor this spring anyway. Unfortunately, JudgeG and a couple of others tempted me with rifles and pistols for sale so I've been spending the money I was saving for the new big bore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a twin to it for sale in 404 Jefferys, John Ricks added one of Ted Blackburns big 404 boxes and rechambered it to a 404 Jefferys..It has a receiver sight..It was originally a 10.75x68...It sure is a nice rifle..very light and the recoil is very easy at the original 400 gr, bullet at 2125 FPS...I shot them at 2300 FPS and it is very tolerable...It feeds 100% and shoots very well...

Posts: 42153 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Ray, I don't think I'm in your league when it comes to firearms but email me off forum and let me know how much your .404 is. artconnections@sbcglobal.net
Thanks,