New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Classic Stock Finish Repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from my Wyoming Elk hunt and noticed several major chips and scratches in my old Remington M700 Classic. Any tips on repairing the finish on these rifles? I don't want to refinish the whole stock, just the few areas which stuck out of the scabbard.Thanks

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty difficult to spot finish wood and not end up with...SPOTS! Smiler

You didn’t mention what type of finish you are trying to fix, or what you are expecting it to look like when you’re done. Those two things will pretty much determine the best way to go.

If you’re not finicky about looks, sometimes some small “blemishes†sanded out and re-oiled can ad some character to a nice old rifle.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The factory finishes can't be touched up beautifuly. You can seal the scratch, which is important so the wood doesn't soak up moisture but you will see the mark. When the stock gets bad enough then you can refinish the whole thing with an oil finish that can be easily touched up. You need a few scratches on a hunting gun anyways.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote