Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 push feed action / gunsmith ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I'm thinking of using a Winchester 70 action for a project. I'm not interested in discussing the difference or other comparison between push feed vs CRF.

From those who have done it, which would be mostly gunsmiths, what I am interested in learning a little about is how does this action clean up? (long action in this case)

What I mean by "clean up" is how precise can this action be trued, from the standpoint of bolt aligned with bore, lap lugs, square reciever face, etc.? I mean - is this generally a good quality action to start with from the trueness aspect, and will it result in something that's really a good piece of work with a little attention from a smith?

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO other than facing off the front receiver ring and lapping the lugs, you are wasting your time with anything else

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

May I ask a follow-up question? I certainly don't intend to be offensive, and I surely appreciate your response. To me, the info given could apply to any action. So, I don't have a comparison from a gunsmith's perspective.

Is this waste of time with anything else, in your opinion, because the actions are generally good & true enough with squareing the front ring, and lapping the lugs being reasonably enough to call it trued?

Or is it that generally the actions are a POS, and the best one can hope for is to true the front ring and lap to make sure the lugs contact evenly, and the average yahoo can't tell the difference anyway?

Where I'm coming from is - take a Ruger 77 MKII for example. It's been my recent observation that the primer strike on all my Rugers is further off-center than compared to any of my other rifles that I've looked at yet. Some say it's the chamber, but I don't think so. I think the bolt is not aligned with the center of the reciever (or bore of the barrel). In other words, the barrel threads are not centered with the bolt. IMO this can't be fixed with a reasonable effort. Thus squaring the receiver ring and lapping the lugs, would not address a bigger inherent problem. Yet, it would be a waste of time and money do do anything else, except shoot them as is, or get rid of um. IMO, it's a waste of time to square and lap as well on such a receiver.

That's why I'm thinking of changing directions - away from Rugers - to something else, and while there are many choices, I'm thinking of at least one Win 70 push feed.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the 'waste of time" comes from the results of the end product. IN other words, I don't think the extra work involved will result in a product that much better.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks.

Is it safe for me to assume that you and your customers have been satisfied with the "results of the end product", with just squareing the reciever ring, and lapping the lugs on these Mod 70 PF actions?

Thanks again for your patience with me. I'm easily confused. Smiler

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
IMHO the 'waste of time" comes from the results of the end product. IN other words, I don't think the extra work involved will result in a product that much better.

Does that apply to every action or just the push feed Model 70?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote