New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Vanguard scope mount problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought a like new Vanguard in .270 Win and upon trying to mount a scope, I noticed that when I tightened the rear screw of the Leupold one piece base that it lifts the front of the base off the receiver about the width of a quarter. I then tried Weaver two piece bases and when I tighten the rear ring the scope is lifted off the front ring.
Has anyone seen this problem, to this degree and what is the best fix for this situation.
Can the action be machined to correct the misalignment?
Weatherby asked for the gun to be sent back for a look-see, which I have done. But, I'm wondering how they will rectify the situation and if it is reasonable.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Bobby,

If a person couldn't find a set of bases to fit correctly then one would look to rectify the problem by remachining the bases to fit the receiver if possible. Some folks prefer to use shims to close the gap. Regardless of how it is done, it needs to be done so as not to place the scope on a bind and possibly distort the optics. I don't know what Weatherby will do... Good luck.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure these are the right bases? Sometimes people look at them and they go back in the wrong box. Maybe try another set. If not, either machine the bases down to the right dimensions, or use a lot of shims. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I double checked two different bases to make double sure that I 1) did not have the wrong base, and 2) make sure that the base I was using wasn't a bad one.
I just find it hard to believe the action got out of the factory with the wrong dimensions. When I called Weatherby, they said they hadn't seen this type of problem before. Make's you wonder.
I tried both Weaver and Leupold bases with no luck.
I'll post more when I hear from Weatherby.
Thanks

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Bobby,

With both the Leupold 1 piece, and Weaver 2 piece exhibiting the same problem, the trouble may well lie with the receiver. It doesn't take much to lift the scope the width of a quarter. A little over zealous metal prep on the rear bridge could cause the trouble...

Malm