THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Rifle Reference Manual(s); which ones?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gang,

What is the best source of reference regarding processes and procedures for maintaining rifles? I have for example seen several different varieties of Illustrated Parts Breakdowns (IPB's), which I suspect are indigenous to the serial number of a particular piece? When looking at a Brownells catalog for example, there are a significant number of choices for these subcomponents. It becomes a matter of understanding the implications and nuances surrounding each of the choices.

I am attempting [for example] to determine whether or not to replace a ramp (in addition to a front sight) on a Win 94 30-30 as it was either terribly damaged from misuse or an unfortunate �hack of a gunsmithing session�.

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I would start with the NRA rifle guides for one. Also, it seems to me there was a dedicated 1894 book out a few years back (by Sam Fadala?) that might also help you. I'm not really sure what your specific problem is, but with more detail, I'm sure someone here can help you. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan,

I am just looking to build up my library with the best overall reference materials and am attempting to see who likes what and why. I don't want to waste time buying up references that are so-so.

The manuals you cited; do you personally use these?

Thanks again...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex,

I don't know what guns you have, but you might find Gunsmith Kinks by Brownell useful. Four volumes. Buy all of them. You never know which one might save you more than you paid for it, on one job alone. These are geared more towards gunsmithing than pure parts replacement. I don't do the former, but, as you know, replacing parts on S&W's involves fitting. One of those books paid for itself just by teaching me one trick in fitting a hand.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Recono! Hope all is well...

Yes, I was looking at those the other day. For rebluing, these buys were suggesting that set.

What do you like best/least about that set?

Thanks in advance...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex,

Presume you're asking what I like best/least about the set of books. Interestingly enough, what I like least is the huge amount of info on bluing, since I won't be doing any of that!

When a new one comes out, I usually read through the whole volume in a day or two, skipping the parts that don't apply to me.

It doesn't really cover everything, but there are a lot of answers there you might never find anyplace else.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The place to start is at your public library. The search function there should find many books that they can get for you free.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good answer from Don. Yes, I do use the NRA books personally, as well as Otteson's "The Bolt Action " series, although these are more a detailed info book rather than a "how to" book. I've always liked the Brownells books for the unusual repair methods i find. Things I wouldn't have thought of ever, are spread throughout the books. The Gun digest Disassembly books I own and have used, sometimes they are on of the few referances you can find. Also the Gun digest (I think) Bolt Actions book is quite helpful. If you're into single shots, the Single Shot Rifle series is a good choice. Hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pete152
posted Hide Post
The library is a good place to look if you do not live in Queensland Australia where they do not stock books on firearms and if they do it is only about clay target shooting.
Peter

Posts: 171 | Location: australia | Registered: 06 July 2000Reply With Quote