Find
Notify
Tools

A GPL gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted
Hmm... I was thinking about how Linux and open source software is created and a thought crossed my mind. Wouldn't it be great if a free and modern rifle platform was specified, and open for anybody to create parts for as long as they are truly compatible?

Just think of it:
- Switchbarrel capability with integrated picatinny rail moving back over the rifle's mechanism
- Barrels possible to use both for inertia-based auto mechanisms and for ordinary bolt actions
-Maybe some genious could devise a magazine and bolt system that could use anything from .22 Hornet to .375HH?
- Etc etc etc.

At home before the hunting trip, assemble your parts to form your perfect rifle. Today, a 9,3x62 autoloader with Aimpoint sights. Tomorrow, bolt action .25-06 with a heavy barrel and benchrest stock.

And NO, Blaser hasn't made this possible. I can't go out and buy a 3rd party Blaser mechanism made of all steel, or decent mags. Aren't there any enthusiasts out there who are willing to contribute as the opern source software people do?

Write hard and clear about what hurts
-E. Hemingway

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote