THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Ruger No. 1 Tropical Rifles Be Ported?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of getting one of the Ruger No. 1 Tropical rifles, but am curious if the barrel can be ported to reduce the recoil of the big game cartridges these rifles are chambered in. Also, can a mercury recoil reducer be put in the stock, or a better pad be put on the stock?

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel band can be a problem for porting but Manaport International should be able to find a way to EDM some holes for you. I would perfer to have a removable muzzle brake instead of porting.

I have a 450 Rigby built on a stock Ruger No. 1. It has a Kickezz recoil pad and one mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock. There is already a big deep hole (just found this out recently) in the butt stock so it should be easy to install a mercury recoil reducer.

Anything is possible in regards to your questions if you the cash. Good luck!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mingo,

Can you email me at urodoji@hotmail.com?

Thanks

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith will backbore the barrel, thread the inside and install a threaded brake on them, I'm thinking of getting my Ruger Mag in 416 done that way instead of the porting alongside the rear portion of the front sight. When you unscrew the muzzle break of this kind a threaded cap is not neaded either. Should be a smith able to do one like this for you.

[ 12-01-2002, 13:06: Message edited by: Brent Moffitt ]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Urodoji,

What's up?

If you have any other questions please post it here, as you will get good info from more people here. I usually perfer not to correspond privately with some of these issues. Later!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can't find Manaport International on the web, and was gonna see if you had contact info for them. Also, I'm stuck trying to decide between .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, and .458 Lott...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Urodoji,

Here is the link for Magnaport International. They are located in Michigan. They can do both mag-na-port as well as mag-na-brake. They are good folks to deal with so give them a call.

http://www.magnaport.com

As for which caliber, I am the wrong person to ask this question. I like them big and powerful but I don't like the 458 Lott. The 416 Rigby would be my choice, given the three from your list. It is a classic English cartridge and it is big and it's name is strongly associated with Africa. With that said, only you can decide what you like best. Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mingo. Looks like the Ruger can only be ported with two ports, because of the banded front sight. Either way, that should help a bit. That, with a bit of mercury in the stock should do quite a bit to tame the gun.

Aaron

one of us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith will backbore the barrel, thread the inside and install a threaded brake on them

Mingo, what do you think of this type of installation? He said it's also much more effective than porting too.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
When this back boring is done extra care must be taken in crowning the muzzle correctly.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would perfer not to mess with the rifling at all. I would have it turned down and threaded on the outside of the muzzle. This setup is similar to what Weatherby uses with their big bore rifles and it works great. Later!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mingo,

The reason for the backbore and internal crown and thread is that there is not room for the threads on the outside because of the front sightband, I agree with your preference though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to move the band back a half inch or so? Or to bore through the band to port the barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I'm not screwin [Big Grin] with my band. Really, I'm not sure if the tapor will allow it or not. Any competent smith should be able to do the internal threaded brake and recrown. My brother is just learning and he did his own with Dave showing how, really didn't sound that difficult. Getting his M700 .270 action to feed 300WSMs was a bitch. Dave just pointed to the TIG and said weld em back up and start over if you take too much off [Big Grin] [Big Grin] , we're goin shootin.

If he ports them, it's ported on both sides just behind the band along side the sight, two slits on each side if I remember correctly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnaport can do a 4 port verion on a #1H. I knew someone who had a #1H rechambered to .460 Weatherby and had the 4 port Magnaport job done. It have been a few years but I think they put them behind the band on the barrel. I finally got my own #1H in .460 but I don't have any thing on it other than a recoil pad.

Posts: 84 | Location: Southeast AZ | Registered: 25 November 2000Reply With Quote