New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Supreme Sporter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've found an unfired FN Supreme Sporter for sale that I may be interested in. In doing a couple searches here on the commercial FN actions they don't seem to be all that well spoken of. I don't remember who, but someone made a comment to the effect that the Oberndorf and BRNO sporters were good rifles, but the FN was a "different story". I did a little reading on them in Ludwig Olsens book and it is mentioned that they are not a "C" ring Mauser, which some consider unfavorable. But it is also stated in that book that they are well made.

Is the fact that they are a split ring action the main concern with these actions? Is there some/other concern(s)? Even if they are not considered as "good" as other Mauser sporters, how do they stack up against other sporters of their period (pre-64 M70, etc.)? Any thoughts on these rifles would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

P.S. What would you think an unfired/as new Supreme Sporter should fetch for a price?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
FN commercial (and military) actions are extremely fine actions. I believe the Deluxe version went to split ring sometime around 1951 so most you encounter will be split ring. The Supreme version wasn't produced until late 50's or early 60's so all of those should be split ring. A like-new, unaltered FN sporter in a common caliber (270, 30-06, 243, etc.) is worth around $700-$800.

[ 06-05-2003, 04:18: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The FN is an excellent action, however it is not ment for such calibers as 7 STW and its ilk...They are fine in 30-06, 375 H&H cartridges..One of the finest...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote