Find
Notify
Tools

Custom scope bases, who to use ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I bought a custom rifle (second hand) that was made by Winston Elrod. I talked to him yesterday and he told me it originally had custom bases made by Raeborn(sp) on it, but now has Talleys. He said the Raeborns are not available and then we had to cut our conversation short. This is on a G33/40 action. The original mounts had 100% contact and left faint evidence in the blue of their placement. I would like to have some sculpted bases made and fitted and am open to suggestions. I may call Mr. Elrod back, we talked for over an hour and he is a great guy. I just want to get some ideas about what is out there.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Give Dean Zollinger a call. He does incredible work and you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can make a set for the price he charges. Below is a photo of theset he did on my M70.

http://deanscustomguns.com/

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dean is a great guy and his work is amazing. He is busy so plan ahead.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Very nice ! I like Talley rings, but I am looking for something a bit trimmer with less profile. Kind of hard to explain, but I guess if I see it I will know it! This is a very trim lightweight rifle, damn near a ladies gun, and I am trying to keep her slim and trim! Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks, Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Mark Stratton made a set of bases for me. I described what I wanted and he made them. You can see them here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...771052301#5771052301

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What about S&K.. not custom but slim.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Very nice ! I like Talley rings, but I am looking for something a bit trimmer with less profile. Kind of hard to explain, but I guess if I see it I will know it! This is a very trim lightweight rifle, damn near a ladies gun, and I am trying to keep her slim and trim! Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks, Lee.

Lee,
A good builder like Zollinger - and many others out there - can build you a set of rings/bases built slim and trim to your specs. The ones he made for my rifle were built to fit my dimensions and preference to match the rest of the rifle.

In my opinion the way to go is to pick a top drawer custom rifle builder and tell them what you want and leave the rest up to them. Let the artist do his craft and you wont regret it.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my opinion the way to go is to pick a top drawer custom rifle builder and tell them what you want and leave the rest up to them. Let the artist do his craft and you wont regret it.

You have learned well, Grasshopper!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee440

I, and I am sure a few others here, would like to see the metalwork on your rifle if you would care to show us. I think you are speaking about Jasper Raybourn. Does your rifle have one of his 3 position safeties on it.

Also, If I understand you correctly, are you saying that you feel that maybe the Talley rings are too large for the dainty rifle. If so, you might want to take a look at one of those ring systems where the ring sort of wraps around the scope. I think that Gentry made those kind of rings and bases for awhile. Not instantaniously removeable in the field, but nice and dainty and light.

http://www.gentrycustom.com/

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Yes, the rifle has the Raybourn safety and it is very attractive and very smooth! This rifle has no sights, so having a removable ring/mount set up is not an issue. I would love to see what the original Raybourn rings and bases looked like! I really want to do this rifle justice, I bought a 2.5x8 Leupold, not only because it is one of my favorite scopes, but because it was correctly sized for this rifle. I have Zeiss, Swaro and Khales and I looked at much of the available stuff, but the Euro's "unbalanced" the look of the rifle badly, mainly with large eyepieces. I am not allergic to spending money to come up with a mount that will do justice to the gun. The rifle was purchased from Cabelas and was on their site. It was listed under Mauser Custom/Elrod in .280 Rem. The pictures are good, but really don't convey what the eye and the hand feel in person! I have never had sucess in photographig guns or posting picture, maybe it is still listed! Thanks, Lee.
Checked Cabelas, it was removed, but they have an Elrod/Burgess 270 that was from the same estate and is virtually identical in every way except mine has a much prettier stick of English!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Checked Cabelas, it was removed, but they have an Elrod/Burgess 270 that was from the same estate and is virtually identical in every way except mine has a much prettier stick of English!

Lee, the pictures are still up and yes, it does have a really pretty stock. The listed price looked very good too. An absolute bargain. Good luck with getting it set-up the way you want it.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just yesterday received from Gene Simillion a trim Model 70 in .257 Roberts he made up for me. I also was looking for something less bulky-looking than the Talleys. I have Talleys in both styles on several rifles (including with custom bases), so no complaints with the product, just wanted something scaled down - lower and less metal - for this rifle. I settled on the S&K rings/bases. I also have the Gentry's on another M70. I will take pics of both tonight and post so you can see. I am very pleased with the S&Ks. And extraordinarily pleased with Gene's work in general.

FWIW I have also tried the Conetrol mounts, and did not like them very much. To me, the little circular cap on top was not right. I took them off the rifle, so unfortunately don't have any comparison pics.

Posts: 232 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
For a rifle that pretty and petite, I'd seriously consider claw mounts with a scope to fit. Especially if you go to the trouble of finding an appropriately sized steel tube scope and use half-rings soldered to the tube. Then rust-blue the whole tube/ring assembly. There is probably no slicker look but that puts another $2000.00 plus into the rifle.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trying to link to photos.

Here is 1 of 2 pics of the S&K rings and bases: http://i282.photobucket.com/al...ensabe6/May09011.jpg

2 of 2 S&K: http://i282.photobucket.com/al...ensabe6/May09013.jpg

1 of 2 Gentry rings & bases: http://i282.photobucket.com/al...ensabe6/May09017.jpg

2 of 2 Gentry: http://i282.photobucket.com/al...ensabe6/May09020.jpg

sorry I cannot find instructions on how to post the actual pics within this reply. that would make it easier to compare these two.

hope this helps

Posts: 232 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
sorry I cannot find instructions on how to post the actual pics within this reply. that would make it easier to compare these two.

Take the image URL, hit the image button in your reply box (looks like a picture of a mountain), and paste the image URL in the box you get.

Some of those pics might be pretty large for some of the users.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for the instruction. sorry to test, but here is (hopefully) one pic of each style:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thoese Gentry's look like they would be very nice and light but the bases look so darn (for lack of a better word) boxy. They need some sculpting!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Mark Stratton. He made a set for a Pre-War M70 whose receiver ring and rear bridge sported four holes each! He even rust-blued them for an extremely close match to the receiver finish.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Stratton again.... had him do two of my m70;s...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's as set that take the S&K rings on a project I am working on.
MIchael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Now that is awesome Mike. Keep us posted.

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote