New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which bottom metal and why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For a M70 bottom metal do you prefer Blackburn or Sunny Hill, or any others, and why?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer steel to aluminum-but it's not a big thing. I don't have any custom rifles-just "hunters and shooters."

I did pick up a Williams steel floorplate/trigger guard for my Rem 700 varmint synthetic a couple of years ago. As I recall, Williams was making bottom metal for Winchester (maybe it was just for the higher end M70's ). You may want to consider that source (http://www.williamsfirearms.com/)

The "Why" part of why I got steel bottom metal? (Shrugging shoulders) No real reason at all. I didn't mind having a few more ounces of weight on my Rem 700 VS. I was curious as to seeing the Williams product. "Just felt like it." Part of it was "durability (but the aluminum was durable enough for my level of use), and I guess "quality" and "class" were part of the factors.

Twenty years ago, I wouldn't have bothered (no money to play with). $80 for a well-machined jewel for a favorite rifle now ( not eating beans and rice now) was a gift to myself for being a good boy. It was "want" not "need."

I got mine through www.tacticalstocks.com ~ 3-4 years ago. I think I paid something like $80 for it-which was about the lowest price I saw for blued steel bottom metal. (I don't think they carry them anymore). Evidently they were scarce just after I bought mine, as Williams started to source floorplates to Winchester. Now that Winchester is closing, perhaps Williams will be more available. I think Brownell's carries Williams bottom metal.

Don't have any comments on Blackburn or Sunny Hill. Never came in contact with those products. Happy with my Williams.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent C.:
For a M70 bottom metal do you prefer Blackburn or Sunny Hill, or any others, and why?

Both are very finely made. Most people prefer the Blackburn because it has a slightly different look than the Sunny Hill. Both of these are "in the bow" release styles.

The Williams is well made, but uses the original Winchester style.

It's really personal preferrence. I like Blackburn for the M-70 and Sunny Hill for mausers. clap

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both Sunny Hill and Blackburn are pricey. I got Williams one piece bottom metal for all three of my M 70's for the price of one of Sunny Hill's units.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote