Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought my kid a compact winchester 94 is there
any way to lighten the trigger pull its brutal

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be reworked by somebody who knows what he is doing into a very good trigger.

I was trying to help a fellow sight in a new model 94 a while ago. We weren't having much luck and finally I asked to shoot it. It just about took a winch to pull that trigger! I guess Winchester thinks if you can't pull the trigger, nobody will get hurt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had em where you could watch the hammer getting cammed back.
A small town gunsmith got my last one down to 1 Lb no creep. (Might be a bit light for some, but it can be done.)
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some smoothing and lightening can be done.

The problem you have is that as you work the lever, the relationship between the hammer and trigger shifts so concieveably if you have a very light trigger pull in the cocked position, that when you work the lever, the engagement could be reduced to a dangerously light level and the gun could go off in your hands.

In my opinion, you should be able to safely get about a 20-30% improvement.

JAL-
I have a feeling that you gunsmith may have reduced your sear engagement to a dangerous level. I highly recommend you check this out before you use it again.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Huh? I reworked my 356 Winchester trigger and it is light. It still has plenty of engagement. You can partially pull the trigger and release it and it will return to full engagement. This is with the stock springs.

JAL is right. The stock angles on the sear and in the hammer notch are such that you are camming the hammer back when you try to pull the trigger. To lighten the pull those angles need to be changed and the surfaces polished. It does need to be done carefully by somebody who understands what he is doing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ShopCartRacing.
Thanks for the warning, but the small town tag to this Gunsmith was just to show you don't have to be the top U.S. Custom rifle builder to do the trigger work. He did my 77'22 to the same pull wt. (I didn't specify anything in particular by memory) and I have been using both for many years now.
And I don't wave any of them around on full cock safety or no, as one can't trust that light a trigger what ever the sear engagement is.
Thanks and regards.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, not saying it is unsafe to shoot and if your smith can get it down to 1 lb no creep then more power to him.

-Spencer