New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRNO metal refinishing started...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've started refinishing my BRNO ZKK 602, I didn't realize just how rough it was until I started to sand away the old blue to find the surface was rough, uneven and heavily marked by the machineing.
There are some areas I had to almost re-shape but I've got the whole action smoothed up with 180 grit sandpaper and now I'll move to 320 and finally 600 before sending it off for reblueing.

Question: What kind of blueing process will give the nicest colour?

Also, I plan to swap out the front sight and existing express sights with the NECG mastpiece banded font sight and 3 blade express sight though I will grind away the first fixed blade and cut the remaining blades for 50 100 and 200 meters. It's a .458 Lott. I want to be able to knock down all the sight blades so I can use a peep sight, also from NECG, which isn't possible with the fixed blade in place and the factory express sights don't flip down far enough.

I also plan to put a sling stud on a barrel band.

So the barrel will also need reblueing, but will I need to take the existing blue of it?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strange - you are talking about all the same points that occurred to me! Smiler Though I would add shortening the barrel to the list of things to do.

Also - who wants a DG rifle with a safety that operates in reverse to every other rifle you own? I have a man who will make up a nice replacement that operates the 'right' way should you be interested.

A Pachmayr 'Decelerator' is another worthwhile investment in shooting comfort.

You may recall I have a 602 in .375HH - and it makes a great quad prop!

Watching Artemis walking up a track in Namibia really made me reassess the benefits of a pretty, polished action. The reflections off the barrel were enough to grab the attention of the most sleepy Cape Buff.

In short - make the mods, smooth the action - but please leave the exterior non reflective. This puppy sounds like a working tool - did you ever see a high gloss 'Snap On' wrench?

Rgds Ian Wink

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering where I could get a proper safety...and no, it's not going to be a high gloss finish, just sandpaper smooth.
Was thinking about shortening the barrel a touch, I think it's 25" something but that also means you get full advantage of the extra power of the Lott chambering and a little less recoil into the equasion too.
The NECG Masterpiece front sight is going to be the flip up model with the H&H style night sight, naturally.
Already got the decelerator pad, going to refinish, bed, reinforce, crossbolt and reshape the stock before I install it, and I'm also on the lookout for a nice blank to build my very own bike stand out of.

Look forward to hearing you tell lies about your Namibia trip mate ;-)

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Express, could you post pics?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to post some pics but at the moment I'm without a camera, a friend smashed it while out hunting, and even my phone, (which had a camera) was run over by a car!! Once I get a new camera I'll put some pictures up, it's not likely to go anywhere for a while.