THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Winchester 100 - never heard of it, but could get one...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 100 - never heard of it, but could get one...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks,

one of my mates inherited a Winchester 100 semi-automatic in .308 Win with a weaver rail. Overall condition is 90%.

I am really rather interested in the rifle since I still lack a handy gun for driven hunts. But to be honest - I dont know a single thing about that rifle? (neither does my mate)

How old are they? What about accuracy? Feeding problems? Workmanship? And last but not least, how much should I pay maximum for it? 400-500$?

Thanks very much for your help, I appreciate it!

Cheers,

elwood.

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Not an expert on the rifle, but they have a propensity of rusting the gas piston in place in high humidity climes. Regular maintanence would eliminate that problem, or Brownell's sells a stainless piston. I don't think they are terribly accurate rifles. Of course, I'm sure some of the rifles would make me eat my words.

Conversely, a Model 88 (lever action version of the same rifle) are generally quite accurate. Without the maliase of the gas piston.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I met several M-100 owners when I was in the gun business. They bought their rifles new and have been using them ever since. I think it uses the same barrel as the M-70 Featherweight, though obviously with different markings. They were introduced in 1960. As for price, check gunsamerica.com and adjust for your location, but if you're in Germany, those prices are probably irrelevant.

Even if the bore and everything else about it is perfect, don't buy it unless you get a magazine - two would be better. The Model 88 uses the same magazine, and they are now insanely expensive. Without a magazine, those rifles are awkward single-shots with a big hole in the bottom.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Elwood,

The popular gun press in the US named it the "jam-o-matic". This may have been one rifle was a jammer, and the story was picked up by others. There was a lot of that in the US gun magazine trade when the M88 and M100 were au courant.

We have a lever M88 in .308, and it runs well, and is accurate. I have seen others that cracked the factory stock at the rear of the action.

I would like t try a M100, but only it it came with a magazine as noted above.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
rifles were made from 1961to1973, some were made in Japan.
if its a true 90% it is only worth about $300.
U.S.
100% around $500. U.S.
Carbines with 19" barreland band, bring around $50 more.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main problems with the M100 is two fold.

The gas piston / port will become rusty and lock the action up. Proper cleaning and care is needed in this area.

REMOVE the guard screw behind the trigger guard BEFORE attempting to remove the action from the stock. If the rail section of the guard unit is bent then feeding problems occur, as this section holds the magazine in the proper position.

Magazines are no problem, we own the factory tooling and produce them on a regular basis.
Just ask Scrollcutter, when he was down last I only had 2200 unfinshed bodies sitting here.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
http://www.wisnersinc.com

Posts: 1482 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the carbines in .308 and it has given me no problems with brass cased ammo, But I had problems with copper washed steel cased ammo exracting. I payed $300 US for the rifle in 1999.
I like the riflebecause of how handy it is in the carbine version. I have shot several dear and elk with the rifle and one antelope with 150 grain winchesters.

Posts: 29 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote