(X)Weatherby-Machined billet
(X)Howa/VAnguard--Machined Forging
(X)Savage- Billet, tube stock
CZ-machined
(X)CZ#3-cast (MRC action)
Kimber- reciever machined...bolt cast
Browning-Billet
Daly Mausers-???

Just a quick update on the above list. The items with (X) I have been able to verify, through some independent source. Still working on verification on the others which several I believe to be correct just haven't found supporting data.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by Rusty....
Swamp! How ya doing buddy?

You apply that to Tsquare2? You're joking, right?

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

triggergard1,

What are the major issues with castings of SAE8620? By the way, what material are Ruger and the others using in these castings, do you know (or anyone else)?

I asked headache the questions because I am interested in hearing what the molecular differences are that he is referring to. Is he referring to casting voids (porosity), or grain structure? If grain structure what is the problem; too coarse, too fine?

You do realize don't you that bar stock is "cast" don't you?

By the way, what are headache's creditials?

ASS_CLOWN

Rod Rodgers could probably tell you exactly what the composition of Ruger's castings are, since Pine Tree casted MRC's receivers, from what I understand, from the same material.

Grain structure, or what there is of it, is more course in the investment cast process than the others mentioned. Of all the casting processes, MIM seems to be the best, but is limited to somewhat small parts. This however is changing in recent years as the technology continues to improve. The detail and intricacy that is obtainable in the MIM process is probably the most impressive part of the entire process.

I do realize that barstock is casted in a sense, but not like the investment cast process. With that said, barstock is susceptible to voids caused from impurities in the manufacturing process, but is far less likely to occur than an investment casted part. Furthermore, round barstock is even less likely to experience these problems than say square, or rectangular barstock.
Forgings are almost always made from round barstock, so not only do they almost invariably lack the problems of bad grain structure, they are then heated to red hot conditions and formed into their shapes within the die. This eliminates, or at least virtually eliminates any stresses within the material that can be released during the machining processes.
Forgings are a cost cutting item, but unlike casted parts, they don't take away from the quality, quite the opposite in fact.

We've been using forgings in our processes for over 11 years and it has allowed us to make high quality part without all the wasted material that's associated with barstock. The other big benefit is the fact that the barstock that is used for the forging is round, which is much easier to obtain in volume, as well as being less expensive per pound.

Headache will have to be the one to decide whether he lets the cat out of the bag on what he does for a living. All I can tell ya is, we've known him for quite a while, and he has quite the reputation over many years in the firearms industry.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"The 700 receiver starts as length of standard 1 3/8" diameter bar stock. The metal is AISI-4140 Chrome-molybdenum annealed steel

This is very possible because seamless tubing (used by Remington) starts life as a solid bar and a hole is literally "pushed" into it in hot state. It's not a welded tube as is DOM or BWMD steel tubing or (heaven forbid) EW tubing that is barely worthy of mentioning is the same sentence as a fine firearm.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Make life simple for yourself: Get a copy of Stuart Otteson's great book, "The Bolt Action", and then you can look up the construction predications of the various major actions for yourself, rather than guess about it.

NO, the post-64 Model 70 receiver is NOT investment cast. It is forged, then machined.

Now you're thinking of producing a top-grade bolt-gun yourself, right, yet you don't know that the Model 70 isn'nt investment cast? If that's so, pal, you're undergunned..........

AD

Before I reply to this comment, were you referring to me, or someone else in this discussion????????

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Can you read? Look at my original post on this I thought it was BS, and no I really haven't spent much time looking at post 64 Winnies, no interest really when there are a lot better actions to look and work with.

Quote:

Now you're thinking of producing a top-grade bolt-gun yourself, right, yet you don't know that the Model 70 isn'nt investment cast?

Better under gunned than over opinionated.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mete,

I apologize for using the wrong terminology. I was asking the question because a poster named "Headache" had made this statement:

Quote:

Investment cast parts are not as strong as parts machined from bar stock, forgings or MIM. The molicule structure is not as close as those of the other processes mentioned.

I have been under the impression that investment case parts typically possessed a coarser grain structure and were therefore less tough than barstock parts. Forgings are immensely tougher/more fatigue resistant than any of these alternative manufacturing processes mentioned (admittedly I know nothing specific about MIM). Of course I must temper this categorical statement by adding with all things being equal. The heat treatment of the steel is of PARAMOUNT importance. Grain structures can be significantly altered by appropriate heat treatments, as you are well aware.

The MIM process intrigues me though, I shall have to investigate it further. Any and all information you, or anyone else can provide, on MIM is greatly appreciated.

As I currently understand the MIM process it is a blending of the high pressure injection molding and powder metallurgy (sorta kinda). My understanding is that a powdered metal is heated to a plastic state and then pressed into a mold. This is somewhat similar to semi-solid molding of aluminum, which I have experience with. That process dramatically increases ductility of the aluminum casting, as well as, practically eliminating porosity.

Thank you for the link. It really doesn't say too much though. My experience with PM has been very bad, in my opinion. The mechanical properties of PM parts, in my opinion leave something to be desired. The PM parts have exhibited a SIGNIFICANT reduction in performance capability compared to sand castings of ductile iron and steel. Investment casting is far superior to sand castings, at least that has been my experience, what has been your's?

It appears that MIM is an attempt to improve the PM parts and expand the applications envelope. So, like I said before, I will have to investigate it more fully.

Thanks again,

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote