Find
Notify
Tools

Tapping a Marlin 336??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

A friend of mine has an old Marlin 336 he wants to mount a scope on. Is old enough it is not drilled and tapped.

Any known problems or complications in tapping this receiver?

He was a little put off when the smith he talked to muttered something about it being not so cheap.

Thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Should be no problem at all for a Qualified gunsmith. Easy set up since it is flat sided. NO problem finding center.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that a 336 that's old enough to have not been tapped at the factory would have some collector value if it's in any decent shape. You friend may want to consider the fact he'll be throwing that value out the window if he taps it.

Might be better to sell it, buy a gun that has factory holes. Might even have enough left over to buy a scope and rings.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i gotta agree with rob. there are fewer each day of these old unaltered guns. if it is in good shape it would be a shame to alter it now.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be tapped on the left side of the receiver. If so, you might be able to modify one of the side mounts for a shotgun.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the gun has a flat bolt then I would not d&t it...If its an old round bolt it wouldn't hurt to d&t it....My opinnion...

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote