New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. 700LH Rebarrelling/rechambering
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Being a lifelong lefty, the lack of caliber variety in left hand rifles in gunracks everywhere gets frustrating. The playing field is NOT level. So. . .

When I saw an ad for a left-hand Rem. 700 in 7mm Rem. Mag., I jumped on it for a project rifle. I don't want a 7mm RM. Now, given the rifle as it sits, there are a lot of options for rebarelling/rechambering. I have always wanted a .375 H&H and have been told that it can be done on that action. There is some work needed on the magazine but the action frame is long enough. How 'bout it gentlemen? Is this a viable option?

Posts: 28 | Location: Wyoming, Like No Place On Earth | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
An easier conversion would be to 375 Taylor (458 Win Mag necked down to 375) which should fit with very little modification. I have a left handed Ruger 77 MkII in 7MM Rem Mag and it's getting pillar bedded right now. If this doesn't fix it, (inconsistent 1"-3" groups) it's going to get converted to either 338 Win Mag or 416 Taylor.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The Remington magazines are very long...much longer than Winchester and your gun will easily handle the .375 H&H as well as the .375RUM and I think without alteration of the magazine or feed rails.

Check this...get four .375 H&H rounds and see if they feed thru your magazine.....odds are they will....and easily.

Go for it.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seen left-hand Remington 700 originally chambered in 7mm Rem Mag converted to 340 Weatherby without any modificatons to the magazine or any other part of the action. The 340 Weatherby is the same length as the 375 H&H. Worked fine.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a local gunsmith rebarrel a LH 700 in 7mm RM to .375
H&H works great no problems at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While we're on the subect can a rem. 700 bdl in 7mm rem mag be rebarreled to 300UM, without feeding problems?

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
yes

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote