New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust Blue Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the old nickel steel Winchesters be rust blued successfully? Thank you.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they can. It does take a special technique involving pre-pickling in a special chemical and then application of the rust bluing solution. I can supply all of these plus directions.

Bobster
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Bobster is a great guy to deal with, he really knows his stuff when it comes to rust bluing, makes a great product too.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pity as I have the same problem with the 94XTR but living in New Zealand means that a lot of the stuff you guys use cant be shipped to here

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster,

Ounces per bottle? Unless I missed it on your website (a nice one BTW).

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Bobster,

Ounces per bottle? Unless I missed it on your website (a nice one BTW).

2 Fluid Oz. per bottle. My formulas are quite concentrated and require only 2-4 passes vs a dozen or more with other products. One bottle can easily do 20 long guns.

Bob Veasey
www.rustblue.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I will give it a try. Not at the stage yet. Thanks, look forward to doing this project.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you order, get American or Swiss Formula. Indicate under buyer comments that you are bluing a nickle steel. I will include a bottle of pickle at no charge plus directions.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
can you explain what the pickling does? I have done quite a bit of rust blue but am not familiar with the process or the science behind it. Another question if you do not mind, is your American formula similar to Niedners? Thank you
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Pickling" is a process of etching by an acidic compound that increases the surface area of oxidizable iron and decreases non-oxidizable metals. With nickle steels, it exposes more carbon steel so the rust reaction will yield a darker color when converted. Then, when the rusting solution is applied, you get a deeper rust and subsequently a darker blue.

No, my compounds have little in common with the Nieder blue. It is basically acid solution with a little iron chloride formed from the reaction of HCL with iron filings. A very primitive form of rust blue.

With the abundance of lab prepared acids and metallic salts in our time, it is unnecessary to to use these older types of formulations. Much more potent compounds can be manufactured from lab grade chemicals. This was realized early in the last century and very effective rust blues were compounded. My formulas reflect this technology and simplify and shorten the rust blue process so hobbyists and professionals can achieve outstanding results.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Bob, do you have any pictures or info on your steaming setup? You've got my attention...

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
Bob, do you have any pictures or info on your steaming setup? You've got my attention...

E-mail me at : bob@rustblue.com and I'll send you back a picture tutorial.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I have sent you an email

Cheers

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick reply Bob. Much appreciated. Nice set up too.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
Bobster is a great guy to deal with, he really knows his stuff when it comes to rust bluing, makes a great product too.

Thanks for the endorsement! Hope all is well with you.

Bob