New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front bead for 870 wingmaster
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Took a front bead off of a fairly new 870 magnum today, with rib, and the threads were trashed. What gives? I didn't "horse" it off, and it felt like it turned off normally, but the threads are gone on the bead and on the barrel. I was wanting to put on a aftermarket bead, seemed like an easy deal, now it has to go to a real gunsmith and be drilled out bigger and tapped. Is there some trick to getting them off? What did I do wrong?

Posts: 33 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The beads are not threaded on the newer remingtons- I am suprised you even got it off, I just grind them flush, drill, tap, and screw in the new bead.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

No you can definately see threads on the bead stem and in the hole. It "felt" normal as I turned it out, it wasn't until the new bead wasn't threading in that I looked closer and saw the threads trashed in the hole, and saw them trashed on the bead. I'm just wondering if there is a "trick" that real gunsmiths know about on how to get them off without wrecking the threads? Still wondering if I did it, or if Remington overtightened it when they installed it?

Posts: 33 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane is correct.
On the 870 vent-rib shotguns, the front bead has always been pressed and cross-pinned in.
Just take it to your local gunsmith, and he will drill and tap it and install a screw-in bead.
I charge $11.25 plus cost of the bead in my store, but $15 would not be unreasonable for the labor.

-Spencer