THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Magazine cutoff Tab on Springfield...Help!! Please...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine cutoff Tab on Springfield...Help!! Please...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
The outfit that just composite-stocked my Springfield '03 did so in a way that prevents me from moving the magazine cutoff tab from the "On" position to the "Off" position.

The stock is much too petite and light to cut a slot in its side for the tab to move to the Off position.

So does anyone know of a handy-dandy way to modify the tab so the magazine cutoff does not work, but the bolt stop will still function?

Does anyone make a replacement tab I could install and use in this situation?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Have the idiots stockmaker that stocked your rifle fix it.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't you just leave the cut-off in the "on" position all the time? That's what I do on all of mine, have never wanted to cut the stock to allow for the "off" position.

Like these :

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I can do that Craigster. Just like to have everything on a rifle capable of working. I don't want anything "half-working" if it can be totally disabled or fully enbled. Much less confusing in the field and, as I age, less confusing is a good thing. tu2

Also, I think a smaller tab would look nicer.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC, if the tab were smaller (depending on which way you mean smaller) there may not be enough meat left in it for the tapped hole for the detente, spring, and screw.

I'd wished that Springfield never put a magazine cutoff on it and went the Mauser route for the bolt release.